• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Elton sick? And leaving country

anniemac

This morning Elton would not get out from under the bed for morning potty ritual. I can not force him out when he is growling and highly agitated. I decided I would see how he is and take an early lunch. Elton was still under the bed in the same position and worse than before. I called the vet and had to get him out.

Obviously this is a big change in behavior and I don't know what's wrong. When I finally got him out, he was wagging his tail and running around so it did not seem like he was in pain what so ever. I changed his diet so that could be part but how can I leave when he is acting strange?

He is at the vet now and I don't know what they will test for except I want to make sure he didn't eat anything.

I was going to leave Elton with Kat (who has Kennedy) even though Kennedy was at hospital again and stopped breathing again. Before this happened, she said it would be better for him so he will not get in a deep sleep. Somehow elton may help.

I hope nothing is wrong and I'm over reacting but I can't put this on her if he is sick. She has enough going on with Kennedy. I am at a loss.

When are you leaving the country? Can you make other arrangements for Elton? Even if nothing is going on with him, Kat has so much to deal with right now with Kennedy. I would also hate to think about poor Elton if Kat got called away in the middle of the night for an emergency with Kennedy and had to leave Elton alone. You wouldn't want her to be worried about having to go home and having to feed him breakfast and then feeling badly about maybe having to leave him alone again - if she could/would even leave Kennedy in the emergency hospital. It's not a fair situation unfortunately for Kat, Elton or Kennedy it that were to happen. Hopefully, Elton is OK - that's the first thing to hope for so that you can go away and not worry about him. Second is to find someone/someplace he can stay that you feel good about. Why does this always happen when we're about to leave on vacation? What has the vet said?

The vet called and said several things. He gave him a pain shot and wants me to watch him tonight. My main concern was obstruction but his stomach felt fine.

He was concerned with the neck pain and noted neurology problems. I told him he had cried again when I touched his neck. He is going to do an X-ray for my own ease but said he thinks I should go back to neurologist.

He noted a low grade murmur. Elton is 6 1/2 so that is to be expected but is a change. Not something I'm worried about short term.

I had changed his diet and said it could be just feeling yucky b/c of that so he will give him meds to ease any upset stomach issues (Elton has not vomited or anything).

I agree about putting extra strain on Kat and didn't want to even mention what is going on with Elton. I called my mom to see if she can come get him. The vet is checking with some techs that sometimes will pet sit.

Hope Elton is OK. Bev is right about possibly leaving Elton with someone other that Kat. With all the stress Kat is under with Kennedy, she may not be able to handle an emergency with Elton. It would be great if the vet techs can pet sit for you. How long will you be gone?

Hope Elton is OK. Bev is right about possibly leaving Elton with someone other that Kat. With all the stress Kat is under with Kennedy, she may not be able to handle an emergency with Elton. It would be great if the vet techs can pet sit for you. How long will you be gone?

I'm coming back Sunday. So at least it's only a couple days but I am just am just stressed leaving him. I'm sure he is fine but he's my baby

Elton update:

Mom came and got Elton this morning. I called the vet this morning to give an update and he is going to leave more tramadol for my mom to pick up b/c he said its a low dose and if he's still in pain, he can increase it so mom will have enough.

My general fear (stemming from experience with Ella) was obstruction. The X-rays looked normal but the vet mentioned it looked like food had not moved as it should or backed up. He said it could be change in diet. I was so relieved when Elton came out from under the bed last night and went outside and had a normal bowel movement (poop). I never thought I would be so excited about poop!!

The vet (new one in group i really liked) is going to contact the neurologist because he saw a lot of pain in the neck area. I have posted before about this but neurologist found no pain on clinical exam. Something is going on because I can tell he is in pain and it hurts me to leave him like that but I feel comfortable with mom looking after him. They will be with him 24/7.

If he started vomiting, I would have cancelled trip even if it upset my father. Elton comes first in my life and now I feel it is not something life threatening, however it needs to be addressed.

Glad things are a tiny bit better. You know Elton is in good hands with your Mom. Try to enjoy your trip.

Funny (actually not so funny) we've both had dogs with SM and obstructions. Oliver, my oldest had an obstruction when he was 2 years old. Somehow he got hold of a cat toy mouse and swallowed it (I think he got it at the pet sitters). Luckily I caught it in time, but not before he lost 2 feet of his intestines. He's fine now and is on a regular diet. So I know from experience what you mean about being excited about seeing Elton poop. I hope you can relax while you're away and not worry too much. Then you'll see the neurologist again when you get home. That old adrenaline kicks in when they go to the vet and sometimes it can mask pain. Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of this soon. Enjoy your trip and don't worry.

I can't help but wonder if Elton sensed your excitement/stress over the upcoming trip and felt threatened by your unexplained emotional state, and that hiding and growling from under the bed was his knee-jerk defense mechanism. Dogs can be very perceptive, sometimes. I hope you have a good trip and that Elton will be okay.

I can't help but wonder if Elton sensed your excitement/stress over the upcoming trip and felt threatened by your unexplained emotional state, and that hiding and growling from under the bed was his knee-jerk defense mechanism. Dogs can be very perceptive, sometimes. I hope you have a good trip and that Elton will be okay.

I agree to a certain degree because he used to hide under the bed sometimes when we are leaving to get in the car. He hates the car but finally is ok with new car seat he loves.

Also mom said Elton is doing great so it makes me wonder if it was me. I know it was more because the vet noted a significant amount of pain in neck. When we went to the vet, adrenalin was making him excited and he didn't seem in pain. I have noted the screams when I went to his neck area sometimes. Even though I don't want him in pain, I'm glad that a doctor saw it so I don't feel crazy.

He is going to contact neurologist and I didn't ask him to. I don't think it's CM pain but maybe strain or something with a disk? Who knows but I'm glad he's generally happy and healthy but not coming out for that long and not eating is more than his perception.

Back