• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

You'll all be thrilled!!!!!!!

jennapea

One of my employees just approached me because she is going to be getting a puppy soon. She hasn't figured out what breed yet. She was asking me questions knowing I've become an owner 3x since she started working for me. Anyways, she mentioned going to the pet store. I just educated her about pet stores, backyard breeders, etc and she was horrified. She thought that was her best bet so she could get her money back is something was wrong with the dog. WRONG! I told her ethical breeders would do the same or more for her. So I feel even though I don't rescue at this time, I've done something to help!! icon_thumbsup

icon_banana Good job. It takes time and patience but each person that knows the actual situation with pet stores means one less customer for the puppy farms/mills. :)

Well done! We need to take every opportunity to educate people about puppymills and pet stores.
J.

Yes, it's such a shame that more people don't know about these, may cut down on the puppy farm industry......

Claire said:
Yes, it's such a shame that more people don't know about these, may cut down on the puppy farm industry......
\

I wouldn't have known other than I didn't want to dish out all that money at the pet store without knowing more about the breed. Went online after seeing the adorable pup at the pet store and somehow got connected to a site about puppy mills and I almost died! So glad I just happen to stumble across it. And people I mention it to that are buying their first pup or pet, have no idea!! :cry:

It's the same with online sites; I wouldn't have known anything about the puppy farms/mills nor how many are in Ireland for cavaliers, until I started checking out the breed online. And with a website, the worst breeders or brokers can make themselves look legit unless you know what to look for.

I need to do up a more detailed list of things to do to check out a prospective breeder -- like searching the OFA site to see if they have EVER heart or health-tested in any other way, a single dog; google them to see if you can find a single reference to their kennel prefix at shows; etc. It can be so tricky to figure out who is making things up on their website. You can sometimes flush out BYBs and puppy millers by googling their name or better yet address as often you start to get lots of different websites, all for just one or two or maybe three breeds, all claiming they are a small breeder/show kennel; soon you find they are breeding a dozen or two dozen or more breeds. :badgrin: We flushed one out this way in the past on a cavalier board. Think they had 28 breeds at final count; each breed supposedly 'raised in my house with love'. Yeah, right. :?

karlin said:
It's the same with online sites; I wouldn't have known anything about the puppy farms/mills nor how many are in Ireland for cavaliers, until I started checking out the breed online. And with a website, the worst breeders or brokers can make themselves look legit unless you know what to look for.

I need to do up a more detailed list of things to do to check out a prospective breeder -- like searching the OFA site to see if they have EVER heart or health-tested in any other way, a single dog; google them to see if you can find a single reference to their kennel prefix at shows; etc. It can be so tricky to figure out who is making things up on their website. You can sometimes flush out BYBs and puppy millers by googling their name or better yet address as often you start to get lots of different websites, all for just one or two or maybe three breeds, all claiming they are a small breeder/show kennel; soon you find they are breeding a dozen or two dozen or more breeds. :badgrin: We flushed one out this way in the past on a cavalier board. Think they had 28 breeds at final count; each breed supposedly 'raised in my house with love'. Yeah, right. :?

I didn't know you could check with the OFA site to check out the testing. Interesting, as I really question whether it was done with Isabelle's parents. I was given no papers regarding her heart and eyes when I got her, whereas I did get it with the new pups.

Back