• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bookshelf...

Nicki

I would love to know what everyone else is reading and what you think!!

Some reading recommendations:

Basic dog care manual covering general health issues

Everydog, a complete book of Dog Care
Eric Allan and Rowan Blogg
ISBN 0195538226

Very accessible and not too heavy going veterinary handbook with some great "yukky" photos

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook 3rd edition {2000}
James M Giffin and Liisa D Carlson
ISBN 0876052014

For the complete obsessive { icon_whistling } and now a bit out of date, but still very thorough
Veterinary Notes for Dog Owners
Trevor Turner
ISBN 0091738172

The bestest book I've yet found on homoeopathy {includes supplements and herbs too}, and has a section on VACCINATION that EVERYONE should read

Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs Small Doses for small animals
Don Hamilton
ISBN 9781556432958

The only bit I disagree with and makes me laugh is that he still gives more than one pill at once, as he can't get his head around that concept :D

Probably the best book I've ever read with regard to dogs and behaviour

The Other End of the Leash Why we do what we do around dogs
Patricia B McConnell
ISBN: 034544678X

This is one I think EVERYONE should read, it really makes you think but isn't heavy going at all. The author is an animal behaviourist and dog trainer and in this book she reveals a new perspective on our relationship with dogs, sharing insights on how dogs might interpret our behaviour and advice on how to interact in ways that will bring out the best in our companions. I love her tried and tested ways to call dogs - short repeated notes encourage activity {to come to you} and one single note discourages it...try it, it works!! PUP PUP PUP PUP...they come running!!

I have read and still own two Jan Fennell books, but I don't agree with her methods, particuarly not for Cavaliers.

Other excellent books are

The Perfect Puppy
Gwen Bailey
ISBN: 0600585816

Aims to teach owners to bring up a puppy to be well-behaved, friendly and happy. The book deals exclusively with raising a puppy and promotes good, responsible ownership aiming to prevent problems in adult dogs.

The Complete Guide to Puppy Care (Mark Evans Animal Care)
Mark Evans
ISBN: 1857327993

Written by an experienced veterinary surgeon and television presenter, {before he turned into a dreadful presenter LOL } this book contains information needed to lay the foundations for a successful relationship with your dog. Advice is given on all aspects from choosing your pet right through to adulthood.

Great for thinking about things like hazards in the home and garden, also stages of puppy development.

For those thinking of home prepared diets this is brilliant and she even has a Cavalier herself!!

K9 Kitchen: The Truth Behind the Hype
Monica Segal

If you have a very strong stomach and really want to know what goes into pet food, then read this:

Food Pets Die for: Shocking Facts about Pet Food
Ann N. Martin
ISBN: 0939165465

This is on my "must have" list, have only read the library copy so far!!

Dr Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health For Dogs and Cats
Richard Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn.
ISBN: 157954973X

What a great idea!! Right now I'm really into "How to House-train Your Dog in 7 Days" and "Puppies for Dummies" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jen said:
What a great idea!! Right now I'm really into "How to House-train Your Dog in 7 Days" and "Puppies for Dummies" :lol: :lol: :lol:

How do you like those books Jen? Have they been helpful?

Thought I'd bump this, came across it searching for something else!! but others might like to add their suggestions too

Great bump Nicki!!

Okay, so this is not a training book, but it is about a dog and the story is told through the dogs eyes, watching and experiencing the life of his owners trials, happiness, and tribulations. I read it in 3 days and was in tears and awe the whole time! It's called:
'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein

I also liked 'Inside of a Dog' by Alexandra Horowitz.
Here is a description from Amazon:
"Psychology professor and dog person Horowitz was studying the ethology (the science of animal behavior) of white rhinos and bonobos at the San Diego Zoo when she realized that her research techniques could just as easily apply to dogs at the local dog park; there, she began to see "snapshots of the minds of the dogs" in their play. Over eight years of study, she's found that, though humans bond with their dogs closely, they're clueless when it comes to understanding what dogs perceive-leading her to the not-inconsequential notion that dogs know us better than we know them. Horowitz begins by inviting readers into a dog's umwelt-his worldview-by imagining themselves living 18 inches or so above the ground, with incredible olfactory senses comparable to the human capacity for detailed sight in three dimensions (though dogs' sight, in combination with their sense of smell, may result in a more complex perception of "color" than humans can imagine). Social and communications skills are also explored, as well as the practicalities of dog owning (Horowitz disagrees with the "pack" approach to dog training). Dog lovers will find this book largely fascinating, despite Horowitz's meandering style and somnolent tone."

And I have read all of Ceasar Milans books. I don't necessarily believe in his dominance theory, etc. (especially for Cavaliers) But I do find them good reading...his puppy one was sweet, it was fun to follow the lives of the dogs. Easy reading...I like to get info from tons of sources, that is what helped me land on the reward based training for Brooky. I like knowing what was out there to either blend a bit or know what I didn't want too.

What else...I have so many! I will dig up more later when I pass my book shelf :) I read so many books before I bought Brooklyn!!

I have heard about the first one and am really wanting to read it, it sounds wonderful!

Back