• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Little Milly needs spine X-rays/MRI

amanda L

My little Milly has been yelping a lot lately without any obvious cause. I brought her to the vet, who said she was very tender around her spine and wants to do X-rays and bloods first and then maybe an MRI. I am really upset about this, and at the back of my mind I am worried about SM. She's 6 months and only still a baby, the vet will need to sedate her for the X-rays. She's booked in for next Monday, but I am just so worried. She also had a little seizure last week (with pee), which was very distressing for her and for us. Please say a prayer for my little girl for next week, she is a bundle of love and joy and is so precious, and I can't bear to think there might be anything seriously wrong with her.

Oh no Amanda. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's especially scary when something is going on with such a young one. I'll keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that everything turns out okay.

So sorry you are going through this worry. She looks so beautiful in her picture. Give her a kiss from me and keep us up to date. :hug:

Gosh I hope everything is okay. I have prayer group tonight and I promise to put you first on my list. We'll be sending lots of prayers from SC. I'm sure this is scary for you - good luck!!! :flwr:

Amanda, we're sending positive thoughts to you and Milly. Since your vet is going to do bloodwork, this is very important:

As many as 50% of all Cavaliers have large platelets which are often miscounted as white blood cells - please read these articles and print copies for your vets:

http://cavalierhealth.org/platelets.htm
http://ackcsc.org/health/cavalierplateletissues.pdf

One of my cavaliers has this condition, which requires no treatment. When my vet does a blood count, she manually counts the platelets.

As long as the platelets are large, it does not matter if the count is low, in fact it can be life threatening to the cavalier to be treated for this condition.

We have another member who had a close call with her vet wanting to treat her cavalier with this condition. :flwr:

oh amanda, this is really scary. i hope it turns out to be not too bad. Sorry you have to wait so long for the tests, and so sorry millie is hurting. there are so many different causes of these things. I hope you'll get clear answers soon and can help her with whatever she needs. :d*g:

Hi Amanda; I'm so sorry to hear Milly is uncomfortable. I can't remember who your vet is; PM me if you want -- and be sure the vet has all the SM printouts from my SM site just as background. She could have many different things so let's hope it is something minor and easily treatable.

I'll be back in Dublin on Thursday and feel free to contact me then to talk. I'm sure she'll do fine on the x-rays and that will help you to either pinpoint or eliminate some of the things that could be going on.

Just to let you know I am thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for little milly :(

Also be sure to talk to her breeder about your concerns and let him/her know she is in being checked. This is important for them to know for their breeding programme and a good breeder will provide support to you as well. (y)

Oh I'm so very sorry to hear this Amanda - you and Milly are in our thoughts and prayers.

please let us know as soon as you have any news.

Crossing everything here for you and Milly, pray to god thats it's not SM.

My little Pippa was scanned at six months and found with severe SM then, she was scanned again at eight months...progression was very fast.....for her there was nothing we could do.

I saw your post last night and it stayed on my mind till the early hours.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ANYONE looking to take a Cavalier puppy find a breeder who is scanning the breeding stock or at the very least using a scanned dog/stud. Lists of scanned Cavaliers are available on the main U.K Cavalier Club website with contact numbers for more information.

Amanda and Milly my thoughts are with you. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Good thoughts are coming over from me and my boys for you and little Milly - I know that it is really really scarey, but be brave for her... it is best to know what is actually wrong and start treatment now rather than later..... :xfngr: fingers crossed she is okay.

Thanks so much to all of you for your positive thoughts and kind words, it means a lot :flwr: . I will let you all know how it all goes for Milly next week. She is on rest in the house till then, no walks, and its so hard for her. Karlin, I've PM'd you.

Sending you lots of :lotsaluv: and :hug: hope little Milly is ok...
Keep the faith Amanda, I know how worrying it is but PG everything will be alright.

Good luck Amanda. I can relate to how difficult this is but believe me you'll feel much better knowing they're doing everything they can for Milly. It sounds like you've been furnished with all the knowledge you need from users on this site and Milly has the best possible chance. I'm sure it'll work out for her. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

{{{{{{{{Amanda and Milly}}}}}}}} I'll be thinking of you both and sending lots of positive thoughts to you both.

Really hope the angels are smiling down on you and that it's not SM. Think positive :flwr:

Amanda you and Milly are in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you all the best news next week.

We said a little prayer here for your little Milly, and are sending out positive thoughts your way too. Will be thinking of you, keep us posted on how she is doing and how it goes.

I hadn't heard about the large platelets, so I was glad that you posted that on here Cathy.

Back