• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worried about Ben

aquaceri

My new year has certainly been off to miserable start :( now its Bens turn to have me worried.

Over christmas he seems to have slowed down alot :( but now I am noticing that he seems to be losing weight even though he is eating as normal. He is sleeping alot more than he usually does.

he also has some moles that seem to be getting bigger - the vet checked them out last year and said they were fine and normal but I think they have changed.

I am just about to make an appt with vet to have him looked over but I am so frightened of what they might find...He is over 12 now and I am really fearing for him. I dont know what I would do if I lost him :(

I bathed him last night and he seemed to lose alot more hair than he normally does when I bath him. I know its probably just old age but I am so scared for him, I just cradled him in his blanket all night on the sofa worrying :(

Oh dear, I am sorry. I hope the vet can help and put your mind at rest. Keep us posted :hug:

poor you i hope he is ok. its understandable that you worry so much.

big hug to you & please keep us posted.

Here is hoping your Ben will be fine and that maybe it is a metabolic change with age. Best of luck with him.

((hugs)) My Mindy will be 12 in February. She is going through much of the same currently - slowing down/hair loss. She is going in this morning for a biopsy (and hopefully removal) of a couple of lumps on her lymph node that have started to increase in size and seem to make her gag at times. It is very difficult to see our oldies get old.

Thanks guys, he has his appointment at 6pm so I will post and let you know how it goes - I am sure they will have to take blood tests etc so I probably won't have any answers today but hopefully even some reassurance I could just be over reacting as all mums do sometimes :)

Hope its nothing more serious than a touch of old age.
Best of luck at the vets this evening, hope you will be able to make the trip, snow bucketing down in Dublin here again at the moment.

Hi Charliefarley!

Luckily the vet is just outside my estate so we can walk it - or should I say I will walk it with ben in my arms as he doesnt like snow!

Thanks for the well wishes.

Be careful not to slip.

These oldies are so precious.
I hope that there is nothing wrong with Ben except the slowing down and weight loss that can sometimes come with old age.

So sorry to hear about Ben - you have joined the Oldies Fan Club here - they are often a huge worry but give you so much.

I really hope it is nothing too serious.

got there early

Hi there,

well I managed to get an earlier appointment and we are just home, the vet reckons Ben is very healthy for his age - the moles are perfectly normal - he does have an infection in his gums and bad plaque on his teeth which she feels maybe turning him off his food. (he has always had bad plaque since we got him two years ago the vet i used to go to made out like there was nothing I could do about it and it was just normal old age:( ) :sl*p:

He got an injection and I have some antibiotics to start tomorrow. She is going to take bloods next week just to be sure and then she is going to put him under anesthetic and clean his teeth.

I am so relieved thats it's nothing more serious. :jmp:

she said hes the best behaved little yorkie she has ever met ;)

oh that's great news :D

Yorkies are notorious for bad teeth sadly.

I presume your vet will do a full blood workup before an anaesthetic - it would be sensible just in case.

One thing I forgot to mention that I've been told by a pet food nutritionist that seniors don't always digest protein as well. She suggested a higher protein diet when Mindy was losing weight and she had her doggie nephew on puppy food for the same reason.

Hi there,
I certainly have joined the oldies fan club - I rescued Ben as my first dog 2 years ago I battled with the idea of a puppy or a rescue for a long time, I did a lot of research and finally found Ben - nobody else wanted him due to his age. :(

I think the next addition will be a puppy though - I really want to experience that at some point but I will probably go all soppy and get an older rescue again!

The vet is going to do the full blood panel beforehand which will put my mind at rest!

Here is a pic of the little Man - this was last year he has aged a bit since then but just as gorgeous!

JenniesCamera167.jpg

Back