• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

feeding puppies

shan

does anybody here on the forum feed science diet puppy food all the vets seem to recommend it including mine yet when you surf the next it gets a fairly hard time any body using it and happy with it i have seem some good reviews also what do you all think

Ok, we were feeding our 2 boys Nature's Variety and they ended up getting sick while we were on a trip and they were in the care of my in-laws and they took them to the vet and the vet gave them Science Diet puppy and they loved it and i took them to the vet a couple of days ago to get their nails clipped and he asked how old they were and i said 7 months and he said to switch them to the adult formula and I think they are doing great on it....

If it works for them, that's fine, but it really isn't a great food -- very overpriced for mediocre protein sources and a lot of filler an additives. If you check the ingredients list, it is about the same as much cheaper supermarket foods.

If your dogs had eaten the food with no problem before and only got sick while at your inlaws, I'd guess they were being fed treats on the side that were a bit too rich for them -- it would be odd that they'd suddenly get sick on their old food.

There are a lot of food options out there in the US that I think are better quality and value than Hills, for what its worth.

The reason vets recommend it is simply because they sell it -- Hills works hard with vets to sell their food through the vet. They probably get very good profit on it and I am sure probably are only allowed to sell the one food, if they carry it. Their special diet foods (for kidney problems etc) are fine if the dog needs it, but I would not pay for the regular cat or dog food.

Not even the kidney diet, nor the Purina prescription heart diet foods are anything I would accept from a Vet, IMHO. You're usually better off home cooking in those instances. I do marvel at the ID food though, that has been a lifesaver in the past. Nature's Variety is a higher protein food I believe, I just got Chicken Soup food which is very high quality and also pretty reasonable for the ingredients.

I had posted a few times before about my pups not eating and asked what to do...While we were gone on our trip my mother-in-law took them to the vet and he said that Bailey was malnourished and Dudley was looking the same way...Science Diet was the food they were given and they love it. They gained weight and are so much happier and healthier. I guess it really depends on the dog. We met some breeders and handlers at a dog show and we asked what they fed their cavaliers and they said they got puppy chow from walmart...and that dog won breed in that dog show...

I got a rescue pup in that was 10 weeks old. He was fed substandard food-- I changed his food and you wouldn't believe the difference. His skin cleared up, his eyes stopped running, his hair is thicker and softer. The vet didn't believe it was the same pup.

Back