• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Non-anesthetic dental cleaning?

dandelos

Skippy's teeth have been yellow for a while, and on a recent visit to the vet, we asked if he felt it was time for a cleaning. Skippy is 4 and had previously had a full-anesthesia cleaning (at a different vet's office) a couple of years ago.

The doc said his teeth were probably "one out of four" on a scale of needing to be cleaned, and mentioned that if we were interested in going ahead with it, that he would recommend their non-anesthetic cleaning option, primarily because he felt Skippy is laid back enough to be suitable for it. The cost is US$165 and it typically takes 30-60 minutes, apparently.

However, we are less concerned about the potential cost savings, and more interested to know if anyone here has opted for the non-anesthetic dental cleaning option recently, and if so, what your experience/s have been?

With what limited knowledge I have, it appears that the most obvious advantage would be not having to incur the risk of putting Skippy through general anesthesia, while the most apparent disadvantage would be discomfort/pain as he goes through the procedure? Are there other factors that I might be missing?

Skippy's teeth have been yellow for a while, and on a recent visit to the vet, we asked if he felt it was time for a cleaning. Skippy is 4 and had previously had a full-anesthesia cleaning (at a different vet's office) a couple of years ago.

The doc said his teeth were probably "one out of four" on a scale of needing to be cleaned, and mentioned that if we were interested in going ahead with it, that he would recommend their non-anesthetic cleaning option, primarily because he felt Skippy is laid back enough to be suitable for it. The cost is US$165 and it typically takes 30-60 minutes, apparently.

With what limited knowledge I have, it appears that the most obvious advantage would be not having to incur the risk of putting Skippy through general anesthesia, while the most apparent disadvantage would be discomfort/pain as he goes through the procedure? Are there other factors that I might be missing?

Disadvantage is that this doesn't do anywhere near the thorough cleaning that a full dental under anesthesia will do because they can't clean under the gums when the dog is awake. I don't think that they use the ultrasonic water plaque removal tool when the dog is awake; I believe that they hand scrape. I'm allowed to be present during surgeries and dentals, and I've watched so I know there is no way to do the same job when the dog is awake versus having the dog's mouth upside down where you can really get behind the teeth and into the gum line.

I'd probably wait until he needed a dental more than now and do the full cleaning. The risk of anesthesia is almost nil; I've witnessed probably 100 anesthesias over many years (a lot of repeats) for dogs up to 14 years old.

Pat

My dog would never hold still for a dental. I am thinking the same as comment above, I wonder how good of job they can do without sedation.

I was wondering the same since anaesthesia is quite expensive and Gracie is really good with staying still and putting up with whatever we do to her! The insurance I just purchased also includes $300 in teeth cleaning each year. Hmmm! Will speak to my vet about this option.

I had my Ben's teeth cleaned under ga about 4 years ago as they were really tartared up and he needed one removed. Since then I have scaled them myself as he is the most laid back gentle dog I have known. I can get quite a good job done too.

I disagree that the risk of anesthesia is almost nil.

Back