• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet sitters

bill1971

Anyone ever use them? We are going away for 5 nights and I found a good one, but still a bit worried about the attachment issues. Anyone have any similar situations?

Yes! And speaking as someone who has fostered out hundreds of cavaliers in rescue -- almost no cavalier has attachment issues. They may whine for a few minutes after you depart and will be thrilled when you return -- but in a good home boarding situation or kennel, they will be quite happy. And will not be pining away at all (as hard as that may be to hear! :lol:).

ideally a pet sitter should be insured, have extra safe doors and fencing, and have references -- and never keep dogs mixed together when they are not there to to oversee them them actively. Especially not dogs of different sizes.

Yes! And speaking as someone who has fostered out hundreds of cavaliers in rescue -- almost no cavalier has attachment issues. They may whine for a few minutes after you depart and will be thrilled when you return -- but in a good home boarding situation or kennel, they will be quite happy. And will not be pining away at all (as hard as that may be to hear! :lol:).

ideally a pet sitter should be insured, have extra safe doors and fencing, and have references -- and never keep dogs mixed together when they are not there to to oversee them them actively. Especiall not dogs of different sizes.

You made me feel tons better, thanks. The sitter is insured. It's funny you say about pining, I always figured I miss her more than she misses me. :)

I love my pet sitter. She will spend extra time with the dogs and I like knowing someone is watching the house while we are gone.

I think they always miss us -- but they live in the moment and enjoy whatever is going on at the time. I know from my three pet sitters who home board -- all friends as well who tell me the truth!! :lol: -- that two of my four will be briefly anxious and try to watch me as I leave from the window, if they have access, but within moments, are off running and playing. My partner collected them the other day and kept them overnight and they were delighted to see him, but he says they still are fairly calm. Then they go crazy as soon as I show up. So that's the hierarchy! :rotfl: But still -- only really extreme anxiety cases pose any issues and I have known of only a couple this bad in all the years of doing rescue and talking to kennel owners, trainers and dog sitters. A dog that severe generally can hardly be left alone at all by the owner, and would really need some serious work with a trainer tp address this over time and perhaps even anti-anxiety medication to cope.

I have one pet sitter who comes to my house and one pet sitter who I can bring all four of my dogs to. The second one watches dogs in her home and always has a mix of dogs - always small ones and usually another cavalier. She does crate them all when she is not physically around them which I support 100% and crates them at night. My four are so excited when they see me pull into the pet sitter's driveway they can barely contain themselves. They are jumping up and down in the back of the car trying to get out of their travel crates. When they get inside the house, it's as if I don't exist anymore. After greetings with Janie, they find their respective snuggle spots and lie down and barely give me a goodbye. I call that a great situation!

I had a friend who sent her blenheim to a different pet sitter who did not crate the dogs at his house and came home to a fight between my friend's blenheim and a german shepherd mix. My friend's cavalier of course was on the losing side of that fight and ending up losing his eye. The pet sitter did the right thing by paying for all vet costs, sugery expenses, etc, but it still should not have happened. Moral of the story - just check out the home boarding situation carefully.

Back