• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We've finally graduated from Level 1!!!

arasara

Today was Kosmo's graduation from his Puppy classes!! He's going to miss all of his little friends so much@!

Here he is in his little cap:

b46550896.jpg

Amazingly enough, he didn't seem to mind that on him too much!!

I absolutely loved class. I would recommend going to a puppy class to anybody. If not for the obedience, then definately for the socialization. I also feel a little more bonded to him and I attribute that to our class. I think because we work with him so much. When I look back over the past 8 weeks, I can see a totally different dog. When I first took him to class he was the shyest little guy ever. He would hide underneath the chair and if another dog came to sniff him, he'd try to hop back up on me as fast as he could. Today all I have to say is "CLASS!" and he gets excited immeditely and tries to break down the door. He loves other dogs so much now. He can't stop playing and boxing with them.

When I think back at our biggest accomplishment through this class, I would definately have to say that it's to go potty on command. It's invaluable. When I have to go quick or anything like that, I just have to say the word, he squats, and we're finished. He is now 6 months old and I feel fortunate to have been blessed with him. He hasn't had any accidents in the house for a long time and I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night with him either.

Another thing - I know I posted about this a while ago but he's started to kennel himself up now! I just have to say "Kosmo, kennel up!" and he just about runs in there.. I am so proud of him for being such a big boy!!

The thing that amazes me the most about this experience is how clicker training works. I didn't know what a clicker was at the beginning, but boy am I ever glad I found out. It's amazing. All I have to do is grab it off the counter and I see Kosmo's body language change completely. He immediately becomes more attentive and turns into a little angel. I wish I could clicker train avi. LOL :)

2 more weeks and we start the Intermediate classes. Apparently we're going to learn how to play dead and roll over. That should be fun. :p

After class he was so tuckered out. I was doing the dishes and turned around to find him like this:

b46550935.jpg

I love the way his back legs stick out when he lays down. Sometimes I call him toad, lol :p Do you all think he will ever grow out of it? I hope not!!

I worked late this week and Avi got to spend some alone time with him. Even though I worried like crazy, looking back I am glad that they got to spend time alone together too. We went to the mall earlier today and avi kept saying "oh should I get this for him? How about this? " lol it was cute .. usually he calls me a nerd for getting him too many things.. BUT, apparently he's caught the lovebug disease too! Here he is holding some kind of bone.. Kosmo is so interested!

b46552398.jpg

He got so many treats today and I am going now to order him a puppia from Roxanne.. I will post pictures when it comes in!! :)

What wonderful pictures!

Clickers ARE amazing. I used to think it was all pretty silly; then Tara and Lisa suggested I try using a clicker for some of the harder pieces of agility equipment with Jaspar. Wow what a difference! I am going to sign up for their intermediate clicker class now. And yeah nothing tuckers them out as totally as having to *think*!! Wears them out much more than walks and playing. It's why doing a bit of daily training is really good for 'exercising' them in a different way.

I love that frogleg position too.

I'm glad you loved your puppy class. I finished with the two I was helping with last week. We'll be starting again later in Sept. Unfortunately, the lead trainer takes a very sterile approach, so I dont think the people enjoy it as much as you did. Still, they got valuable information and socialization, I suppose.

Kosmo is really growing up. You're at the stage where you're getting to reep all the rewards from the hardwork you've put in. The kennel command and the pee commands are certainly well worth the time in training.

Both Willow and Cedar still lay froggie style, and they are both over a year old. So you will probably get to keep your toad-pup for awhile yet ;)

I havent worked with clickers before, but I purchased one a few weeks ago. I've read about them and seen them used before, so I thought it was something I might try with Willow. She's a bit skittish and the click noise startles her some, so we are taking it really slowly. Today, actually, was the first time I did any sort of purposeful training with her (trained her to use a step up onto my folk's sofa b/c she wont jump up), and I could tell our relationship was at the point I should do some more. She trusts me now, so I'm looking forward to spending some more time with her. It definitely helps develop the relationship, as you've discovered.

Good job!! Cant wait to hear more of Kosmo's development. And thanks for the pics!

Congratulations on the puppy class! It is so worthwhile to take puppy classes, then to continue your dog's education into adulthood. The socialization factor is huge, and getting them used to behaving in public!

By continuing the classes, you'll ensure that Kosmo can go many places with you when he is grown, because he'll know what behavior is expected of him.

My three all lay with their froggy legs sticking out behind, too. I think that is a Spaniel thing!

Great photos!

Congrats!! I agree, clicker training is so great! We didn't use it for Abbey, but we're using it now for Gus, and I swear by it--I, too, can see his body language change when I grab the clicker. He knows it's time to work, and he loves having a job! I'm glad you got so much out of class, that's great, and you're so right, it does make your bond stronger!

Have fun with the next level! We're learning tricks now too and it's so fun! :D

Congrats to the new graduate! And concrats to you for working so hard with him. That's just great that you are doing the classes. I happen to agree 100% with you on the importance of puppy classes. We have always STRONGLY encouraged our puppy people to take their puppies to the classes for the socialization, if nothing else.

Every one of our 12 dogs have been through puppy class for the socialization, so we do practice what we preach. In fact, our newest boy Grantini (Grant) just graduated last Tuesday.

Good luck in the intermediate classes. Sounds like Kosmo and you will do just great.

Way to go Kosmo! And congrats to Mom too. Big accomplishment. Isn't clicker training great? We discovered it over a year ago. After having lots of dogs over all the years, I am just amazed at how quickly the dogs learn with clickers. Stuff that used to take a while to train in the old methods, now takes literally minutes using clicker training. And the dogs have learned to think! Enjoy your next class. Kosmo is such a smart puppy!

Oh my, he looks so delicious in his cap :l*v: You should frame that photo of him :D

Congrats to both of you and yeah, I wish I could clicker train all of my lot - I can just imagine it.... Click, load the dishwasher. Click, tidy your room. Click, dirty washing in the basket and not where you take it off..... icon_whistling

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Oh my, he looks so delicious in his cap :l*v: You should frame that photo of him :D

Congrats to both of you and yeah, I wish I could clicker train all of my lot - I can just imagine it.... Click, load the dishwasher. Click, tidy your room. Click, dirty washing in the basket and not where you take it off..... icon_whistling

I would settle for 'put your toys away," :lol: That's probably not even outside the realm of possibility...

such sweet photos of the koz man--congratulations!

i really want him to learn to put his toys away!! I am telling you this little man takes them ALL out one by one and strings them throughout the house. Then I get tired of nearly stumbling on them so I put them all back in and thus begin the cycle again. I am telling you, unless EVERY single toy is out of his crate, he's not happy!! What's with that?

Congratulations to a very clever boy Kosmo! :mexwav: :mexwav:

Glad you enjoy the clicker, it's an excellent tool for training....don't know if it works with Men & Children etc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess it's a laugh trying!

Looks like a good picture for the first picture contest! A perfect "Frog Leg" pose!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Back