• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need Help Finding a Breeder in the NYC Area.

ellenyc

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am currently on the search for my first Cav. I am hoping to get a puppy sometime next Spring. I have done quite a bit of research and I understand the importance of buying from a reputable breeder. I am most concerned about getting a healthy pup. I feel overwhelmed looking at so many breeder sites. :confused:

I'm hoping one of you could help me out. I live in NYC and am willing to travel a couple hours. Anyone have any advice for me? Perhaps you bought your puppy from a breeder around the NYC area. Please let me know. Thanks so much!

Sent you a PM of several very reputable breeders. All show and have wonderful dogs & healthy dogs. I haven't heard of health issues with any of their dogs. If they are not able to help you, they would have some great referrals for you.

Last edited:
I'd recommend talking to breeder Anne Eckersley who has been extensively involved with the clubs and working to set up a CKCS breeder health info repository -- she is Chadwick Cavaliers and easily found with a google. She can likely confirm the bona fides of any breeders who want to check out or can give you some names. The breeder Laura Lang in Ohio would likely do the same. We do have extensive guides to puppy buying here, with what to ask to see, and health results you should expect a breeder to be able to show you, and you need to follow through ion all those things -- see the list on the home page in the right hand column. I know any good breeder will tell you that you MUST regardless of any recommendation from anyone, including them, ask such questions and get such information directly yourself. (y)

Please be very cautious as there are some major scam artists around the NYC area and lots of puppy mill and poor quality Irish import cavaliers around the east coast. Generally the better the price, the more questionable the breeder.

I'd recommend talking to breeder Anne Eckersley who has been extensively involved with the clubs and working to set up a CKCS breeder health info repository -- she is Chadwick Cavaliers and easily found with a google.

Anne was one of my 3 recommendations of reputable show breeders in this area. :) I know several of Anne's dogs and they are gorgeous healthy dogs. I also went to her house last summer for a NY Cavalier Meet Up that she hosted. She was great! And I got to meet a bunch more of her lovely dogs when i was there. I'm so bummed I cannot make it this year to the meet up she is hosting.

I live in the NYC area, but had my dog flown in from Texas. HOw did you hear of a cavalier meet up? I would love to be part of that! I walk Bosco all over Staten Island, NY and have not yet met another CKC and I've had him about 1 year. Please let me know.

Thanks.!

Joan

I live inIslandYC area, but had my dog flown in from Texas. HOw did you hear of a cavalier meet up? I would love to be part of that! I walk Bosco all over Staten Island, NY and have not yet met another CKC and I've had him about 1 year. Please let me know.

Thanks.!

Joan

Hi Joan, I use to live on Staten Island and still have family and friends there!

Last edited:
I belong to a cavalier meet up in my area and have been to 2 events so far its so much fun!!!! I have to drive about an hour but Fletcher loves the car and I don't mind. Next one I'm going to take Mr. Monster aka my 4 yr old son. There are about 15 active members most have more than one cavalier. Everyone is really nice too.

Oh yeah since looking for a cavalier more than a year ago I have only seen 2 out walking. One in my neighborhood, a tri named Max and we met one walking one morning on vacation when we were at the beach. Cavaliers are not too common in my area either.

Back