• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

female neutering

cleopatra

has anyone on this forum had their female dog neutered? and if so at what age should it be done, and does anyone recommend it, as i would not want to put my dog through something that maybe wasnt necessary.

Yes all my girls are spayed.It stops unwanted vists from strange males(even with a fenced yard)and pyometra,a uterian infection.It's also responsible dog mom behavior to spay to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
It takes about 10 days to recover from the spay,no jumping,but otherwise the doglets forget before you do.
For cavaliers there needs to be health screening for eyes,knees,heart and neuro prior to breeding a hopefully healthy litter.
Lynn

i wont be breeding from her, and it would keep males from hanging around, but in the long term does it proect the dog from any illness and would it be healthier in the long term?

Yes. Healthier in the long run with less chance of female type cancers. Females are usually spayed before their first season which can be 6-9 months normally. Females coming in season routinely would also be prone to pyrometria(sp?)-vaginal infection.

You might contact your vet and ask the best age to spay a puppy. I have a 5 month old female and was told to wait intil after her first heat, then spay her. It seems that if the girls are spayed to early it can lead incontinence later in life that has to be treated with hormones. I know of two older dogs that have incontinence and are be treated with estrogen. (My vet's is one of them.)

I'm patiently waiting that first heat. icon_whistling

Back