• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need to teach 13wk a trick?

Kodee

So in 12 days I am supposed to have taught Kodee a trick for the last night of our puppy socialization class. I need advice (um with instructions) for an easy trick she can learn. Definately shake a paw is out as we think if you touch my paw, then its fair game to nipple your fingers! I'm not looking to be unique just a nice simple one.

What does she know already? This is what I've done with Ollie:

1. Sit
2. Down
3. Roll over
4. Shake
5.Other Hand

His just getting the hang of 'Other hand'. I want to try stay next but we gave it a go a couple of weeks back and I didn't think it was worth all the trouble.

Sit and Down are the easiest, he does them on command now.

The trick is for fun - everyone is to teach their dog a trick to show at the last class (not a training element). Example one woman in another class taught her dog to find which cup had a hidden toy (umm it must have been a scented toy!). Outside of shake a paw I am completely stumped! After all they are only between 11 and 14 wks in this class.

How good is she in a sit-stay? A friend of mine once had his dog trained so that he would put the dog in a sit-stay, place a treat on the end of the dogs nose and then wait. When he gave the command, the dog would then break the sit-stay by flipping the treat in the air and catching it. I've tried it a few times with our dogs and I can train them just fine to sit with the treat on their nose, but they don't seem to be able to get flipping and catching the treat. Sure is cute watching them watch that treat on their nose, though :)

How about 'gimme 5' or 'gimme 10'? My cavs learned that as puppies. :)

Another one, which is a pre-agility skill, is 'touch' where you hold your hand down and they come and touch it with their nose. Once they learn 'touch' you can guide them around and get them to do all kinds of things.

Cathy Moon said:
How about 'gimme 5' or 'gimme 10'? My cavs learned that as puppies. :)

Another one, which is a pre-agility skill, is 'touch' where you hold your hand down and they come and touch it with their nose. Once they learn 'touch' you can guide them around and get them to do all kinds of things.
I havent mastered shake a paw so moving forward to gimme 5 is not going to work. But the nose one sounds nice - how do you teach that, I couldnt find it on a search.

At 13 wks we are learning sit, down! They are not ready for much more - this is not even a beginner obedience class. My husband is like she said we didnt have to do it... oh that is being a poor sport I told him, we have to do something even if little.

I did find one on the internet that is just for fun but sort of cheating! Having 3 small balls - 2 red, 1 green and putting them into fabric little bags on the floor and telling her to get the green one. Of course the green one will be rubbed in chicken! I'll be honest and admit how I did it at the end! Would that be terrible of me to do? Its just for an end of class fun bit to see what sort of different tricks we can come up with.

this page has a pretty good description of teaching touch...

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/commands/touch.pdf

Basically put your hand in front of the dog and as they look or sniff at them click if you use a clicker or say "yes" or other marker phrase..and treat..as they get the idea you up the ante so that they have to acutally touch it before the get the click/yes/treat...once they are doing it well you add the command....

I agree with Cathy, "gimme 5" is much easier than "shake a paw", they just have to "swing" their paw at your hand.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A very young pup can learn that, especially for a biscuit!! ;D

Good luck!

Zippy said:
I agree with Cathy, "gimme 5" is much easier than "shake a paw", they just have to "swing" their paw at your hand.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

A very young pup can learn that, especially for a biscuit!! ;D

Good luck!
I guess I need to look at another site! The one I was at said you had to teach shake a paw first, then you keep raising your hand till they learn to wave it, then count out 5 waves! I was reading and going ok she is 13 wks and I have a wk to teach all that! :?

debjen said:
this page has a pretty good description of teaching touch...

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/commands/touch.pdf

Basically put your hand in front of the dog and as they look or sniff at them click if you use a clicker or say "yes" or other marker phrase..and treat..as they get the idea you up the ante so that they have to acutally touch it before the get the click/yes/treat...once they are doing it well you add the command....
Thanks and also that is a nice site with other good information on things I have been looking for!

Debbie, you're not using a clicker yet, are you? Kodee is probably too young, and there are specific things you do to start with a clicker - that will come later in a clicker class.

Are you saying 'yes', 'nice' or 'good' when you train her now?

Cathy Moon said:
Debbie, you're not using a clicker yet, are you? Kodee is probably too young, and there are specific things you do to start with a clicker - that will come later in a clicker class.

Are you saying 'yes', 'nice' or 'good' when you train her now?
Yes is what we say. But this is only a 4wk puppy course - its not even a beginner training class! This class is long 1.5 hrs and alot of it is learning about dog behaviour, letting them just play, getting passed around to different people. The puppies do learn sit, down, take it with a bit of hand signals - but all that will be retaken in the beginner class at 16 wks. They just like to end the session with a little party atmosphere of every one showing a trick they taught their puppy. Nothing serious or too hard - things like kiss, or jumping over a bar - silly easy stuff. I'm just not creative this way!

HMM I am trying to think of tricks Kosmo knew when he was that young!!

I know we learned speak pretty early.. if she has a good down-stay you can teach her to play dead.. :p There is a way that "shake" is supposed to be taught - it's really easy Debbie :) No lies!

Hey how bout you try to teach her to take a bow?? Easy for me to say - Faith knows none of this! icon_whistling You could teach shake, wave, play dead, take a bow, roll over is hard, weave, .. I dunno those are all easy tricks that we know.. :)

Good luck! :flwr:

Back