• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Horrible grass seeds

freesia

Took Barney out today and he started limping, we had a look and thought he had a thorn in his paw, but when I pulled it out it was a grass seed, it's left a little hole. Does he need anything putting on it or best left alone, he is still limping, it was quite a way in? Obviously if he is no better in the morning, I will take him to the vet.

It might be worth bathing his paw in warm water with a bit of disinfectant in it, just to make sure it doesn't get infected until the puncture has closed up. I just use a margarine carton, hold the paw in it for a few minutes and then dry it. He'll probably be OK after a night's rest, at the moment it's just sore to walk on.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

He is walking better now.
What kind of disinfectant can you use, do you mean a one specially for animals? We don't have any disinfectant at all.

Not sure what disinfectant you could use - if that happened to one of mine I think I would bathe the area with cooled boiled water with salt added....Hope that helps!!
Grass seeds are a pain in the bum!!

I would use a mild disinfectant like TCP, diluted, but as Teresa says, salt does as well - just to make sure the foot stays clean.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yes, thanks, salt water is a good healer.
Barney is fine today, back to his normal self.:D

Back