• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eyelid rolled in

rocky

was at the vet today and found out that vegas's left eyelid is rolled in and rubbing against his eye we always thought he was sleepy a lot as he was blinking a lot the vet said he will need an operation but they dont like to do it when they are too young he is nearly 8 months so the vet said to perhaps do it around 9 months he said it is common in this breed of dog has this happened to anyone else. also his other eye is not so bad but still a little rolled in as well maybe not enough to do an operation i dont know we'll just have to see:(

It is called entropian. It isn't really common but it does happen. You should inform your breeder as most responsible breeders will not want to breed dogs that are producing entropian as it can be very serious and painful because it causes damage to the eye itself.

This is from the CERF website which gives certifications on health conditions (clearances) for breedinng dogs:

Eyelid Disorders

Julie Gionfriddo, DVM, DACVO ACVO Genetics Committee/CERF Liaison
There are numerous eyelid disorders in dogs. Entropian (rolling inwards), and ectropian (drooping or rolling outward) are the most common and, although they are considered abnormal eyelid conformations, are characteristics of many breeds. For example, droopy lower eyelids (ectropion) are usually present in Basset hounds and other hound breeds. The breeding of Shar Peis and Chow Chows, in which breeding selection has been made for numerous facial wrinkles, has led to turning in of the eyelids (both upper and lower in many cases).

Ectropian, unless very pronounced, does not lead to severe diseases of the eye itself. However, the droopy eyelid may collect debris such as dust, pollen and plant material from the environment. This may cause ocular irritation that leads to discharge and a red eye. This is particularly pronounced in hunting dogs or dogs that are outdoors much of the time. Dogs that have ectropion must be watched carefully by their owners for possible foreign bodies in their eyes, and the dogs' eyes must be cleaned and often medicated on a regular basis.

Entropion on the other hand frequently causes ocular pain and corneal disease. If the eyelid is rolled inward sufficiently so that the hairs of the eyelid rub on the eye, much damage may be done. Dogs with entropion usually squint and have watery eyes. If the entropion is not corrected and the rubbing continues, ulcers often develop on the cornea and the cornea becomes pigmented. Vision may be lost. Dogs that have had entropion correction surgery cannot be shown.

Although entropion and ectropion are hereditary disorders in many breeds, their mode of inheritance is complex. No one gene controls the development of eyelid conformation. Instead, it is a combination of genes that control eyelid size and shape, depth of the orbit (eye socket), size and shape of the eyes, head conformation and amount of facial skin. All of these genes work in concert to determine the relationship of the eyelids to the eye. Therefore if an eyelid conformation defect is to be eliminated, only those dogs without entropion or ectropin must be bred. In many cases this may be difficult as "abnormal" eyelids may be a desirable breed standard.

The current CERF recommendations for breeding dogs with ectropian is classified as a "breeder option". This is because, although it is a hereditary problem, it is usually not sight threatening. Entropion is a painful and potentially blinding disease and therefore affected dogs in breeds that have a high incidence of entropion (such as Bloodhounds, Chow Chows, English Bulldog, Bull Mastiff, Chinese Shar Pei, Mastiff, Vizsla, and Saint Bernards) are denied certification. (CERF NOTE: As of November 2001, entropion is breeder's option for Bloodhound, Bulldog, Bull Mastiff, Mastiff, Saint Bernards.) However, because exaggerated facial conformation with loose skin and/or heavy facial folds often leads to eyelids that roll in or out predisposed the animal to irritation, discomfort and possible vision loss, selecting away from these traits in all breeds is strongly encouraged.

From http://www.vmdb.org/dec98.html

When I took Miles to the cardio and CERF clinics last month (he has no heart murmur - yay! :p) the ophthamologist said that every Cavalier she's seen has had some (even if minor) form of entropian. She also said that almost all Cavaliers also have distichiasis and eury/macro blepharon...this was confusing to me because I thought that they had to clear the CERF tests in order to be bred, but the ophthamologist made it seemed like none of the Cavaliers passed these tests due to the large size of their eyes, etc. :confused: Many of the dogs at the clinic were dogs that are regularly shown, which I learned from talking to the breeders there, so I was really confused, because it seemed like they hadn't passed these tests either...is there any truth to what the ophthamologist said about bascially all Cavaliers having some degree of these eye conditions?

I was told that Daisy had that and needed surgery by one vet.However two others disagreed and said she was fine!
If I recall there are members from USA who have had this done for their cavaliers and it can be done with laser.
The vet who recommended Daisy for surgery said that if it's done while they're under 1 yr there won't be scarring.
Sins

thanks for all advice just cant wait to get it done my poor baby he is always rubbing his eyes i know they are bothering him:(

Back