• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My letter

Ciren

i have heard from carol, i have a list of people to write to that she sent me. thing is i am not very good at writing thease things. what i want to say to the KC lot is unprintable.

is there a list of points that i should include? cause to be honest alot of the science baffles me.

any help would be appreciated.

I think the thing to do when you are upset is to write your letter then sleep on it. Have a read through in the morning and see if you feel the same way.

i been sleeping on this since the program :D the thing is the difference of people on the list. should i say to defra the same as the KC? what exactly do i ask my MP to do?

can you see my problem?

Well: what would you like these bodies or people to do? If you don't know, then it might be good to rewatch the show for ideas on what isn't there, or read some of the articles that ran around that time, or look at what some people are proposing. If you Google the sow title you will get lots of discussion. You don't have to go into the ascience. You can simply ask that programmes be put in place to avoid unnecessary suffering. Ask for what YOU want after watching the show, not what other people say. Your own personal response is better.

i know what i want to ask the KC to do, but what can defra do? tbh i not even sure what they do.

Is Defra the Department of the Environment and Rural Affairs in the UK? If so, then this is probably the Government department which has responsibility for creating legislation on issues like dog licences, puppy farms etc.

Ideas?

The editor of Dogs Today has a blog that has some ideas re: writing. If you scroll a bit down the blog you'll see where the suggestions start. Some you already have :) but there may be a bit more you could use- in the blog. The editor, Beverly Cuddy, seems very supportive of Carol Fowler and Margaret C.

http://www.coldwetnose.blogspot.com

Beverley Cuddy is 100% supportive of Carol Fowler and Margaret C etc. There will be an article about Carol Fowler in next month's magazine. I'm a subscriber to this magazine and Beverley has been campaigning for changes in breeding practices for some time.

You might also be interested to know that Dogs Today have produced a handbook (£2.50 inc postage to the UK) called "The Little Black Dog Book" which lists hereditary problems possible in every breed, with suggestions of questions one should be asking. Very good for the general dog buying public.

Interestingly, the Kennel Club are not happy about this book, though I don't understand why. They say that they are aware of the problems and have it all in hand, so why they don't want it publicised is a bit of a mystery to me.

Carol Fowler is also featured in "The Little Black Dog Book" with her story of her Cavaliers.

Have a look at Beverely's blog as suggested by frecksmom.

Little Black Dog Book

(They ( Dogs Today) were requesting hip scores on Sheba Inu and look how the KC responded to the request

As the KC stopped sending us press releases after we published the Little Black Dog Book (they also banned us from Crufts and wrote grumpy letters to the sponsor of the Booklet) we gathered a direct request for this information wasn't going to be likely to be tremendously successful!
So one of our number emailed posing as a person interested in the breed and wanting to know the breed average so she could choose a breeder carefully.
I have to say when the reply came I was gobsmacked! They wanted to charge £5 for telling our member of the public a hip score..... !
So much for helping the public do the right thing.... Posted by Beverley Cuddy at 13:26 3 comments
Labels: Shooting from the hip Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)

How to buy the Little Black Book

Concerned about canine health?

Have you got a copy of the Little Black Dog Book yet? It explains all the different common hereditary problems and lists on a breed by breed basis what tests are available so you can shop around and find breeders that are doing all they can to prevent suffering.

Click here to buy on line, it costs only £2.50 (with UK postage).

...perhaps you could also ask anyone and everyone concerned why the KC register Puppy Farm dogs as well knowing full well that these diseases are widespread in certain breeds. Can you imagine an affected Cavalier with SM, caged, cold, no decent food, no meds, scratching, crying out with pain litter after litter etc ... this issue needs looking at urgently as well especially with so many being born this way.

Alison.

thats another for the list :D i am making up a list of points so when i do write the actual letters/emails i can make lots of good points

thanks guys again, your stars.

p.s incidentally should anyone want a copy of the list Carol sent me so they can write their own letters lemme know

Writing Letters

Hi All

If letters are sent out using the same phrasing and ideas, the recipients soon cotton on to the fact that it's an organised thing and the impact is lost. If many individuals write in their own way, more notice is taken.

DEFRA is the government department which includes Animal Welfare. It was responsible for passing the Animal Welfare Act of 2006 which encodes a 'duty of care' on all who own animals. There is secondary legislation currently being written which gives more detailed regulations. Pedigree Dog Breeding (now called Dog Code) has not yet been dealt with. So there is an opportunity to say what you think should be done to protect pedigree dogs from the suffering due to hereditary diseases and traits. Mandatory health testing is one idea or the KC not to register litters of puppies whose parents have not passed current health tests.

There is a European Convention for the Protection of Pet Animals (1987) which incredibly the UK has not signed up to! Article 5 of this Convention states that, 'No one should breed companion animals without careful regard to characteristics (anatomical, physiological and behavioural) that may put at risk the health and welfare of the offspring or the female parent.'

DEFRA and the European Convention both have websites.

I don't think there are any shortcuts, petitions do not carry much weight (they're too easy). But individual letters/emails written from the heart and with some understanding of the issues are effective. Unfortunately writing letters takes time and care, but aren't the dogs worth it?

Best Wishes

Carol

Hi Carol,

I did send you a private message regarding who I should be writing to, but I think I have probably covered most of them apart from Defra (and also Roger Helmer, the MEP who is on the Kennel Club website as supporting them - see Beverley Cuddy's Cold Wet Nose blog).

So far: Kennel Club, CKCS club, MP, Animal Healthcare Trust, Dogs Trust, Pedigree Dog Foods, James Wellbeloved Dog Foods (pulled their advertising from Dog's Today because of a complaint from the Kennel Club - so copy of this one to the Kennel Club too).

I'll write to Defra and Roger Helmer this week, but is there anybody I have missed?

Good point. I e-mailed the BBC (and Jemima from Passionate Productions) to thank them for screening it on the grounds that it has raised public awareness and opened up a debate, but didn't mention Crufts.

Back