• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very worried for Daisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sins

Daisy got out of her basket approx half an hour ago and promptly collapsed on the floor.She had no coordination in her legs and her head and neck were trembling.We got her up and she staggered a few steps and went down again on her belly.She kept trying to follow the other dogs and eventually got herself up but her front limbs kept giving way.She's able to walk now,but she falls to one side after a few steps and has had an episode like a seizure where her eyes were blinking uncontrollably.She's now alert,wagging her tail,doesn't seem to be in pain.We're waiting on the vet to get back to us.
We've never seen anything like this with her.
I'm not sure that we can do much more for her.
Sins

Keeping fingers, toes and paws crossed for good news for Daisy. Sydney had a similar experience not too long ago and the vet called it a focal seizure. It lasted a few minutes then he was fine afterwards. Thankfully, he hasn't had one since. Let us know what the vet says.

She had no coordination in her legs and her head and neck were trembling.We got her up and she staggered a few steps and went down again on her belly.She kept trying to follow the other dogs and eventually got herself up but her front limbs kept giving way..
Sins

This sounds a very similar experience to what happened to Jasper around 9 weeks ago now, it was an extremely scary and upsetting sight to witness, though with Jasper it was put down to his disk problems not his SM. My heart is with you right now and I hope things will settle down with Daisy and she gets through this episode. It is just so sad that you are having to deal with this. Gentle hugs to Daisy.

She seems a lot better,she's sleeping now,having eaten and drank.
She's walked ok a while back,head seems a little shaky.
We'll leave the vet in his bed for tonight and see him tomorrow.It's much better to have a clear head in the morning.
She managed to catch a piece of tossed ham from about ten feet away...
Sins

How scary. The symptoms sound like a stroke in human medicine. But there are lots of things it could be.

I would definitely want to talk to a neurologist, rather than GP vet about this.

Poor Daisy. Please let us know what the vet says - in the mean time, I'm thinking of her and hope she is okay. xxx

Awe, praying for Daisy!

Do you have Paralysis Ticks there? This is very similar to those symptoms...though, with that said, it would have gotten worse, not better.

I don't have very good advice other than to tell you I'm thinking of you and Daisy!!

Poor Daisy, I do hope she is a lot better today. We had something a little similar with Jasper in the Summer, he was out in the garden with our son one evening when he became unwell, he could`nt walk in a straight line, his front legs started to do a paddling action, he managed to get into the house to us, but was panting badly, heart pounding, trembling and drooling a lot and looked terrified. We phoned the vet straight away and was asked to bring him straight up, we really thought it was his heart, bearing in mind his heart condition. After an examination and taking some blood the vet felt it was some sort of fit and was told to rest him for a couple of days, he was fine again on the following morning and never had one again since then.

She's absolutely fine this morning,did spins by the fridge at 7 am,trotted down to the bed and I heard her trying to jump on the bed.She made it after a few tries!She's perfectly happy staring out the window upon the ledge.
No ill effects whatsoever.
I agree,not a case for a vet any more and I will push for a referral to Jacques Penderis first thing on Monday morning.
I'll also order a swab from the AHT for Episodic falling.
Thanks for the posts all.It's been so helpful.

Sins

Yes Sins, I was thinking Episodic Falling. My Thomas has EF and can go for ages without an episode, then out of the blue will have one. Often they are brought on by excitement or after a walk, especially when it's hot. He seems to have an attack every 2 or 3 months and only started about 3 years ago when he was 5 years old. He is always perfectly fine afterwards thank goodness. Hope it was a once off for Daisy. x

Oh Sins, how difficult. I am glad she is doing better this morning. I cannot help but wonder/doubt whether this is connected to her SM -- this isn't really typical of any of the many cases I have heard of or SM dogs I know, and Clare Rusbridge had felt that signs Daisy has shown in the past sounded more like sings of a neuro-muscular problem than SM symptoms (at least not 'just' SM if that makes sense and without underplaying the seriousness and distress of owning an SM affected dog). Maybe something to investigate if you are seeing Jacques Penderis. The only other cavalier I have heard of having this kind of difficulty was a rescue Cathy Moon took in a couple of years ago and he was diagnosed as having more than SM going on (eg a background neuromuscular disorder separate to his SM).

I would wonder whether treating for SM isn't getting at the core issue.

I'd certainly however talk to your vet about adding something like Trocoxil for pain? Clare notes this has made a big difference for a lot of dogs. Leo is now on 200mg gabapentin 3x, cimetidine 2x and just starting trocoxil, as a point of comparison; not sure where you are in treatment.

I'm not sure it's connected to her SM.She has had a bad week painwise though.The night before last,she snapped at my husband who put his hand under her ribcage to help her up on the sofa.She screamed for a few seconds after being lifted.
I did think EF but her limbs are not rigid during the episode and this was more severe than the summer ones where she'd just drop down on her belly after taking a few steps.It's not a case where she'd been excited after exercise,it's basically a dog who got out of her basket after a long snooze and her legs didn't work.It's the first time I've seen her having some kind of seizure,with her head and shoulders trembling and her eyes blinking uncontrollably.
It's definitely something neurological..
Poor baby,she's had so much happen to her.I'm not sure how much more we can allow her to endure.
Sins

I have not had a dog experience anything like this so cannot add anything to the advice you have been given, but I just want you to know I have my fingers crossed that you find an answer for Daisy.

Hi

Sins we all are of course all thinking of you and Daisy and so hope you discover soon the cause of this horrible problem ,poor
Daisy and you have so much to carry .

OH goodness Sins that is just horrid for you all :(

So pleased she is doing a bit better but I think you are right to get on to Mr Penderis ASAP.

I've not heard of something quite like this with SM, it does sound like something else is going on. I don't think it sounds like EFS.

I was wondering about some kind of heart arrhythmia? but seizure activity seems the most likely.

I really admire you for putting Daisy's quality of life as the priority - as you konw, I have been there too many times :( so can empathise with you.

See what Mr Penderis says though, hopefully she can be managed more comfortably.

Please keep us posted, you are all in our thoughts.

Oh Nicki I'm sorry. Abbey is havin issues falling also. We have non-skid socks on her. Please keep us posted.

Hope you can sort out Daisy's problems. Oliver has a similar problem with his hind legs - no push to get him out of bed and a distinct wobble until he gets going. Sometimes, when I suggest he goes out into the garden, he flops down, clearly saying 'Nope, can't manage that at the moment.' He doesn't tremble, though he did do this fairly regularly earlier in the year, usually after exercise. Now, however, he still really enjoys trotting on the level round the park off-lead, and his legs are noticeably better for several hours after that. It seems to be pushing himself up after not using his legs that is the problem. As he has both spondylosis and SM, this could be caused by either of them interfering with nerves. At the moment we're going with SM and have increased his gabapentin and are watching to see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't, we might X-ray him to see if his spondylosis has got worse.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back