• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Older Cavaliers

fuzzie bear

My 2 cavaliers in my parents are 8, a week before this Christmas. Lately they have put an awful lot of weight on - nothing has changed in their routine and they still get lots of vegetables. We've put them on lite food to see if this makes the difference, but it hasn't.

Do cavaliers normally put a lot of weight on as they get older ??

Yep -- wait til you hit 40 and you'll see people do too! :lol:

Their metabolism naturally slows so try cutting back about 20% on their food. If that doesn't gradually shift the weight, cut back a bit more. Also more exercise helps of course too.

Their food was cut down already, so maybe we'll cut it down again

wait til you hit 40 and you'll see people do too!

Saying that, it took my mum till she was 50 till she started putting on the pounds... although it could be the 10 bars of chocolate she eats everyday... lol

LOL at the chocolate :lol:

It seems strange that they have suddenly put on a lot of weight - could it have gone on slowly, and you've just realised?

I agree with Karlin, the metabolism does slow down.

What are they eating? How much exercise do they have?

Have they seen a vet recently, just to check there isn't any physical cause?

Maybe worth switching to Burns dry food - my Rupert was on Eukanuba light for some years, and still couldn't shift the last few pounds. On Burns, he slowly dropped the weight and most importantly is maintaining the correct weight - he is 9 now.

www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

Keep us posted as to how they are doing.

Hiya Nicki,

The lady at Burns' is sending me some samples for Maxx and also a list of stockists etc. I like the idea that it's totally natural and holistic above everything else - She also thinks that it might clear his ear problems :D

Told hubby and he agrees that Maxx would probably be better to eat a purer diet too :)

You should be on commission LOL

I have just read your e-mail to me and am sending Peaches great big gentle hugsssssssssssssssssss - will reply tomorrow as I am now being kicked off the computer by son #1 :(

XXXX

Back