• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog already 'in the heat'?

Hi All,

we have just got out puppy (male, 10 weeks old tomorrow)

We have a door stop that is a dog, and he keeps trying to jump on it as if its another dog!

Is this normal at this age?

thanks,

Mark

Guinness was humping things all the time when I brought him home at 12 weeks.

In my experience it's usually a sign of nervousness. Sort of like if you went to a party where you didn't know anyone and you were trying to fit in, but then you got really nervous and started doing socially awkward things. Then everyone starts staring at you, and it just gets more and more embarrassing.

Guinness went through a phase where anytime he thought I was leaving he'd start humping everything in sight. But he's fine now.

Usually they don't start till puberty...lol...but it is just a natural instinct for dogs to do so whether male OR female.

From all I have read about this..it is due to an attraction they have to an object ( whether it be a toy, pillow or another animal) and when frustrated about not knowing how to express the excitement..the humping begins. It's probably not entirely due to that..but it is in part.

If your pup is doing this..try and re-direct it's attention elsewhere. Better yet..change out the door stop & see if that helps ! ;)

If the behavior gets extreme..a "time-out" from all activity for a few minutes may help him to understand.

My female puppy is almost 7 months old and she has a moose toy that is almost as big as her, and that is her one and only humping object. She LOVES to hump the moose! lol. I try and interrupt her when I see it happening but since thats the only thing she goes for I dont see it as a huge issue. She is spayed now too and still does it. At least it isnt another dog or a person :). My parents male Cairn terrier used to hump EVERYTHING before he was neutered, and afterwards didnt hump anything.

Henry was a humper. He would take all his soft toys into his bed and hump them. It never became an issue with him humping any of the small humans in the house. We would take away the offending object when we caught him and give him a bone. It seemed to resolve itself about a month after being neutered.

That's pretty normal for puppies. :) Young pups try out all sorts of behaviours that will be used as they get older. It isn't necessarily really at all at this age, just reflex. There's a post in the Library section on humping behaviour but thee's also great info in the free book After You Get Your Puppy which I strongly recommend if you haven't downloaded it yet! :D

www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

It will provide all the information you need to answer most puppy questions on training and behaviour and help you end up with a great adult dog. :)

Back