• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dogs in Public Places

Halina

What are the laws governing where we can take or not take our dogs. If we have them confined in a dog stroller for example, can we take them anywhere? I've been trying to find this answer on-line and have been unable to. I live in Ohio. I want to know what my rights as a dog owner are in taking my dog with me if I have her in control???? Help

i found this:
http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm
its questions that business owners may ask
close as i could find. hth
dogs are not allowed in some public parks in america, i doubt they are allowed in stores, resturants, etc. sucks doesn't it?

Last edited:
I think the laws vary from city to city...I know that one of the aldermen in Chicago was pushing for a law to allow dogs in the patio area of restaurants, to increase business. They are allowed in some bars, stores, etc., but I think for the most part the individual shop owner (or landlord) can dictate if they are allowed. I brought Miles into Home Depot once; I wasn't planning on going there, but I needed to run in and wouldn't leave him in the car:D, so I asked (I always ask), and they let me bring him in as long as I kept him in a cart. I never assume I can bring him in; I always ask, and I think the store owners/managers appreciate that. I don't think pets are allowed anywhere that food is prepared, which I understand....

In France, it depends. In some public places dogs are allowed whereas in others they aren't. For example, we can't take our dogs in supermarkets, food shops, clothes shops... It is forbidden in some restaurants but they are welcomed in others. We must be careful before deciding to go somewhere. As far as I am concerned, I don't go if my dog can't come. So I choose the best places for us. In some parks, they can go but they can't run freely.
I think law is different in each city and country

Yes, I agree with cy1266. We bring Sofee Marie wherever we can. Home Depot and Lowes, especially the garden section is never a problem. Like tonight, it is pouring rain here in Boston and we'll go to Home Depot and walk her around the insider perimiter of the store a few times while doing a little shopping. She needs her exercise, but it's raining too hard to go outside. We don't bring her anywhere where they do serve food, except for restaurants that have patio's and where we have approval from the staff. We often leave her in the stroller in this instance, easier to control. I have found 'outlet' like stores usually don't have a problem - this is with her on the lease or stroller, but regular stores usually won't allow her in. Have fun!

I think it's pretty much up to the owner, other than taking them into "food" places which violates health codes. I live in Ohio also and take my dog to patios all summer for eats. There are also outlet shops on 71 between Columbus and Cincinnati and many stores there are dog friendly! I would say just ask before you go in, then you'll know for sure.

I understand why dogs shouldn't be allowed in restaurants or grocery stores. I believe in my state it is up to city ordinances whether or not dogs are allowed on outdoor patios at restaurants. I definitely think dogs should be allowed in more public places, but unfortunately many people don't pick up after their dogs properly and end up ruining it for the rest of us. My nephew had a baseball game the other day and I couldn't even bring my dog to the ballpark because they put up a sign saying NO PETS.

France and Germany amongst other European countries are very welcoming of dogs in public venues and hotels. :)

Personally, though, I don't care much for seeing dogs in stores and restaurants. I've seen them lift legs and be a general pest and I also don;t find it very appetising to watch people letting dogs eat off their plate -- and basically, especially in the US/UK/Ireland I think, not everyone wants the dog we think is charming, coming over to them while they are shopping or eating, and often the dog is a whole lot less charming than some owners think :rolleyes:. Having the dog in a stroller is not an acceptable or legal way of avoiding ordinances which do not allow dogs inside shops and restaurants excepting seeing eye dogs. No dogs means no dogs. If in doubt it is always correct and polite to ask the owner of the establishment.

That said, there are some outdoor areas that serve food where I know dogs are allowed and sometimes I meet a friend for a meal or coffee after walking our dogs. We can sit well away from other people but the key point again is that dogs are allowed in these places. I actually never enjoy doing this all that much though -- cavaliers are so greedy about food that I can't relax and chat, I have to be watching them all the time and they can be pests (usually are). Hence we only do this now and then and generally I will only have one or two of the dogs.

I think it is very important to be a responsible dog owner and never forget that it is never correct to assume other people delight in one's children or animals :lol: (though this does vary by culture; again, France is very open to including dogs and most European hotels I stay in for work events will take dogs). There are so many things that we can do with our dogs that I don't think it is crucial that they also be there while I pick out a pair of shoes or eat a meal out with friends.

I've moved this thread as it doesn't really have anything to do with shopping per se. (y)

When we were in France about 7 years ago I remember seeing an elderly lady in an indoor restaurant with her dog which she fed from her plate. I remember how strange it was to see a dog in a restaurant but no one seemed to mind as the dog was well behaved. It was rather odd. My sister lives outside Charleston, North Carolina and she says her area is very dog friendly letting dogs in stores and outside in restaurants. I was beginning to think the tide was changing about dogs in public places.

Whenever we take walks along the canal there is an indian cafe which we pass. Often this walk is about 6 miles so its nice to stop with Holly and get a wee drink or something. We sit outside at their decking area, and Holly just goes to sleep in a wee bundle under my seat... so I havent really experienced any problems or anything.
The only other places we have taken her has been to the likes of Acorn Pets and also Go Outdoors when we were looking for a tent.

I didnt realise places like France etc were more tolerant of dogs! Learn something new everyday :)

In Newport Beach (California) many of the more affluent people have their dogs with them wherever they go, and the shopkeepers are up on this. There is an indoor/outdoor plaza type lovely shopping mall, right across from the ocean where you will often see many, many well behaved and primarily pedigreed dogs with their owners. Many of the shops welcome well behaved dogs in for a stroll as it often translates to big sales for them.

It does make for a nice afternoon on a sunny day and I enjoy strolling around with Dottie and sitting on the benches, visiting with friends and watching the people and their dogs. I am anything but affluent, but it is nice to know that the shopkeepers are very pet friendly there. I think individual owners can make their own policies regarding dogs, but indoor restaurants and cafes are regulated by state and federal health codes that prohibit all but certified companion animals.

I think you can take dogs to Bloomingdales and Neimans, can't you?

Last edited:
Yes to Neimans and Bloomingdales in Newport, but most that I have seen there are the smaller dogs that are carried while shopping.

Back