• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier obsessed with eating grass

lovecavaliers

Hi I was wondering if any of you also had a cavie who is OBSESSED with eating grass. Jack was 2 years in December and ever since I got him (@12 weeks) he has been obsessed with eating grass. I always take more notice of this as the weather gets nicer and the grass comes out. Jack has been tested for everything and his "only" problem is CM (as if that's not enough) I have had dogs in the past that enjoyed grass but Jack will stop and eat small sprouts growing from cracks in the sidewalk and if we are near a patch of grass, you will never see his face because he has his head down grazing the entire time. He is constantly pulling me over to any blade of grass he sees. It is so bad that walking him becomes a constant struggle. I feed him high quality dog food, supplemented with veggies daily. I even tried growing a pot of organic grass in my home but while he chows done on it, he is still crazy about the outside grass.

Anyone else experience this or know of anything that can lessen this obsession?
I have told both my neuro vet and regular vet. Regular vet says he is healthy with no GI issues (btw his stool is always in good form and his appetite is good) Neuro vet sees no correlation to grass eating and his CM.

Jasper did when he was a puppy but not so much now. He is into sticks though! Only at the dog park. He always manages to find a stick then I have a job trying to get it off him as he thinks it's a game and runs away when I say No leave it.
He gets it from his mother so I'm told. Her name is Mystique (sticky) for short. lol
I know cats eat grass to get the hair balls up. I don't know what it is with dogs.

I think you will find this is very common with many Cavaliers. No reason to try to stop it really, providing they are otherwise healthy and not eating grass that has been sprayed with pesticides etc.

Just allow those extra few minutes for the walkies - I have always had to!

Birddog.gif

Back