• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New years eve... And the dreaded fireworks

JessieAndMe

Evening fellow Cavbuddies
girl_wink.gif

It's new years eve here downunder, and while some of us happily enjoy the quiet life at home, there will always be rowdy
neighbours or random drunks on the prowl. In a few hours, I expect to bombarded by local fireworks lighting up our night sky.
Although pretty, this year we have our little Jessie. Jessie is a pretty tough little cookie, where even thunder (unless it's ear piercing)
doesn't seem to worry him at all, but I'm anticipating that the fireworks will.

We plan on staying up to see the new year in, for Jessie's sake, as he'll probably need lots of reassurance and cuddles.
Just curious to how others deal with fireworks, thunder, cars backfiring with their little buddies.

Oh, and happy new year
gamer4.gif
As I head off for a game of MW3 with the hubby.

Try not too cuddle and re assure him too much as he will take it that there is definitely something to worry aboout and could make things worse for the future.

If he does whine or bark just try to ignore him - my dogs bark at the odd really loud one but normally sleep through it all- I take them for a nice long walk to tire them out, close the curtains and put something on the TV with the volume up fairly high.

I try not to make a big deal if they get a little concerned as I know they can pick up on our anxieties and it could make them worse, luckily our oldest dog does not take any notice, but the younger one does give little barks and is a little concerned, last night not long after we had gone to bed there was a couple of loud bangs, Ollie did bark for a little while but we ignored it and he soon settled down.

Happy New Year to all of you!
We have given up parties on this evening, and have succumbed to a regime of sedatives during the day and the evening. Both Molly and Éowyn are scared of fireworks, but Molly really much. So we are cuddling up with blankets in the couch, pyjamas party for me and Christian, a good dinner, champagne, Her Majesty's annual speech and just the fireworks we can see through the windows. We have a magnificent view over the town.
We don't nurse them too much, but it really is difficult, when they are barking and seeking shelter under the furniture. When Molly was a puppy a local idiot fired a loud bomb next to her, and that has scared her off for good. The days before New Years' Eve some rockets are fired, and she refuses to go out after darkness. It's really hard work to drag her out and pretend that everything is fine. Éowyn is not quite as scared, but barks and reacts to Molly's fear.
So - after consulting with out vet, they get sedatives and calming medicine from the morning and until one hour before midnight.

Yeah, just ignoring or distracting is best, especially with their first fireworks as this will really shape how they will react in their lifetime to sounds like this. Brooky is fine with thunder, so I am hoping she was fine with the fireworks (she is at home with house sitters now). We have some that go off right on our beach and lots of people and dogs go watch...so it is a wonder, do we bring Brooky and see what happens or leave her at home. Either way, this year she is all tucked up and has already rung in the new year in Sydney! I on the other hand have hour to go in New York City!!

Happy new year everyone
LaieA_056.gif

The night went far better than expected. Jessie really just barked at the front door and growled, but spent most of the night
chewing his bully stick. Hope all of your furry buddies had an uneventful night as well.

Well don't think sparkles even heard the fireworks through her own snoring!!!!
We could hardly hear them haha

Happy New Year Everyone :lotsaluv:

Hope the fireworks are over. We heard some last night on our walk. The dogs didn't react too much, but they spent the rest of the evening in their Thundershirts. My friends with really sensitive dogs swear by the thunder shirts for thunder, fireworks, separation anxiety, etc.

Back