• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Elton around a New Puppy Tips

anniemac

I saw Karlin's link with information on adding a second dog to the household. Since technically Elton is not part of their household, I wanted to know things I can do to help when he is around the new puppy.

I spend a lot of time at my parents house. Sometimes they have kept Elton in the past if I had to go on a business trip. I have friends here that will keep him if that ever comes up but I can't avoid Elton being around the new puppy or my parents house with me. Even if I had the time, resources, finances to add a new puppy to MY household, I wouldn't given Elton's behavioral issues. He did have another older dog in his former home, but he has too many guarding issues and we have been working on socialization which has greatly improved and doesn't seem to be a problem, but giving his history of behavior it would not suit his personality.

What should I do when I am with Elton and the puppy is there to help get them used to each other or prevent any issues? Elton is a barker and I read on the sticky that puppies can pick up habits of the other dog. If Elton is only around for a short time, will this still happen? I know that I would not leave them together unsupervised but should I keep him on a leash? Should I hold him to introduce them? They can be easily kept seperate but I don't want to put any extra pressure on my parents when going through training their new puppy.

Thanks

If I read this correctly, Elton will be staying at the puppy's home, not the other way around. In my experience dogs tend to be on better behavior at other dogs' homes. but if he's stayed there before without the puppy around, he may look at your parents' home as "his turf" and at the puppy as an intruder. If possible, get some items with the puppy's and your parents' scents on them to have Elton smell and sniff. Perhaps a T-shirt your dad has worn that he lets the pup sleep on for a day or two.

If you feel Elton will be turf-y about the house, perhaps introduce them in a neutral place. One thing that often helps dog bond is to introduce them, then walk them together for a time before letting them off leash together. You will need to watch them closely if you think Elton won't be interested in playing. Puppies can be very persistent! When I brought home my male Golden two years ago, Tess was nine years old and was most definitely not interested in playing. And Tucker was very persistent!

Also suggest you bring an x-pen to keep them safely apart.

Last edited:
Back