• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about skin scaliness

cb2u

I noticed several very small bumpy spots on Sasha's skin. Upon closer inspection, they look like little light-brown scaly patches, almost like light-colored scabs. They are able to be picked off, but with slight bleeding, so I stopped doing that. There are around 15 of them, many under her neck & then scattered elsewhere.

I took her to the vet 3 weeks ago when there were just a couple. The vet thought it was maybe eczema, maybe dryness (we were bathing Sasha once a week), but she wasn't really certain. She gave us a medicated shampoo which we never used, since it appeared to resolve on its own.

Now they're back. I'll probably end up taking her back to the vet (a different one in the group), but I was just curious as to whether anyone here ever experienced this sort of thing with their cavalier.

Thanks!

When we got Sally as a pup her skin was scaly. I mentioned it to the vet on our first visit for vaccinations and he seemed to think there could be a mite in it and to be sure there wasn't he gave me some treatment called 'Advocate' which I used after bathing her and it resolved. Never had a problem since. Also changed her food to a high quality one and her skin improved. We also use Cod Liver oil capsules once or twice a week which have helped. I think bathing once a week is too often and could dry the skin. We bath Sally once a month with a very mild puppy shampoo and rinse very well. Hope it resolves but I think your right to go back to the vet.

No, haven't experienced this, so sorry I can't offer any conscructive advise, but I do recall both vet and breeder advising us when we bought our very first dog that there was no necessity to bath regularly as it dries out the coat and can irritate the scalp. A good thorough brushing and combing followed by a gentle rub with a shammy should be adequate to keep your doggie clean and comfortable.(combined with eye cleaning and ear drops to prevent mits) If he gets really muddy paws and lower regions, then a quick luke warm shower of those areas without shampoo will suffice. I guess some shampoos do have chemicals in them which can cause reactions, but anyway your vet is the one to really know the answers here.

Thanks for your input & suggestions.

I guess I am bathing her too much.

I'm going to take her to the vet & see what he says. :)

Back