• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crusty nose?

dandelos

We've observed that Skippy has slowly (over the course of the last few months or so) developed some sort of "crust" on the top of his nose. We're not sure if this is natural with aging or is perhaps a sign of something else (disease, fungus?), so wanted to check in with the forum to see if anyone knows?

Do you used plastic bowls? If so I would stop, I have seen this effect in dogs using plastic water or food bowl.

Also adding kelp to the diet can help for its vitamins, minerals and in particular iodine (I forgot how much though, would need to ask your vet as too much iodine in the diet is a bad thing). Checking the thyroid would be wise too as this can sometimes be seen in thyroid issues (which kelp addresses through its regulation) but all of that need to be done with the guidance of a small animal naturopath, vet or holistic vet.

Hope that helps a little :) a good first place to start is removing any plastic and you can put Coconut oil or Paw Paw ointment on the nose whig will aid in the cracking, crusting.

I find that a dab of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) rubbed in at night helps.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks BrooklynsMom and Kate! We've never used plastic bowls -- we started with metal bowls but when Skippy was spooked by all the reflections we moved to standing (the kind for cavaliers) ceramic bowls.

I'll definitely research the items you brought up some more. Do you have any idea or recollection what this effect/symptom is called? On the positive side of things the "crust" doesn't seem to cause Skippy any discomfort at all.

Quick update for those who are interested.

I ordered a product called "Snout Soother" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035KE2FQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i07?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and while it is not scheduled to be delivered till next week, we noticed that the accumulation on Skippy's nose has seemingly minimized on its own accord. It might have dropped off at some point, but we hadn't started applying any vaseline or making any dietary or environmental changes at all. Very strange!

[/QUOTE]

He looks completely healed! I'd wait before applying anything since it appears to have cleared up on its own.

Joan

Back