• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Under arm pain

Jen

Abbey often yelps when touched in a specific spot under her front right arm... has anyone else with a SM or CM dog noticed this as well?

Yes, Leo. This seems to be a common sensitive area for a lot of CM/SM dogs.

Yes we've seen this and have heard it quite commonly - it's often why they don't like being picked up.

Not sure why - only guessing, but could be the nerves to taht area are compressed,?

Yes, Jack does the same thing. We have to be very careful about how we pick him up so that can avoid that spot. He was like that since 10 weeks of age.

Just an FYI...my Ruby had decompression surgery about 10 weeks ago, and her surgeon, Dr. Marino, told me that with CM/SM dogs it is very important to always pick them up VERY slowly, pull them in close to you, and not to let them dangle in the air at all. It seems to have worked with Ruby, she yelps much less frequently now.

Hope this helps!! :)

Michelle & Ruby:paw:
Massachusetts

Michelle, how is Ruby doing?

Jen, I guess that the hindbrain and motor nerve areas that get pressed upon often have to do with that area -- must be associated with neck or lower brain pressure?

Karlin, Thanks so much for asking. All in all, Ruby's doing ok. We still have good days and bad days, and I'm still not convinced that I did the right thing by going through the decompression surgery. But we are trying to move on, and hopefully in another few weeks Ruby can start to resume somewhat of a "normal" life. The good news is...she wants to chase after the bunnies in the yard again (even though she isn't allowed to do that yet). Unfortunately, the bad news is the scratching (her main symptom pre-surgery) is back, and I think possibly worse than before. We've upped her Gabapentin to 150 mg every 8 hours, however I've seen no improvement. In addition, she's having some stomach issues, so that's been tough as well.

Also Karlin, If I've never told you before, thank you for all you do. You are such a dedicated person, who has helped me (and many others) through an extremely difficult time in my life, by providing information and support.

I hope your dogs are all doing well. :xfngr:

Michelle & Ruby :paw:

My 16 month old girl, Tilly, has just had an MRI confirmation of SM and she has always had what I called "delicate ribs". Often when picking her up she yelped, but I have also found that picking her up very slowly and being careful to distribute her weight on your whole hand ( as well as taking most of it from her backend) has reduced the yelping considerably.

I will echo what Michelle and Devilica said. When picking up Riley, my SM dog (decompression surgery 6/10/08, I have to pick her up very slowly and almost as one piece, supporting her back end and holding her close. If I don't do this, Riley will have what her neourologist calls a "vestibular event" in which she loses her sense of orientation and balance even though she's being held.

Bev, :paw: Oliver (7 yr old blen), :paw: Riley (6 yr old bl & tan), :paw: Madison (ruby - 5 years old today!!!), and :paw: Oz (14 month old tri)

now im worried!

My five-month-old -sometimes- yelps when I pick her up with my hands under her arms. I thought this was normal!
She doesn't scratch very much, and she has never done the "air scratching."
Should I be worried now?
I guess my real question is, does anyone have cavs that have been MRI-cleared for SM and feel this under-arm pain?
Thanks.

My 5 YO Casey, whom I suspect has SM although not confirmed, goes through phases where she will yelp if picked up or will run from me if she knows I am going to pick her up. However, she has been on Rimadyl for a month now and has not made a peep since.

Puppies often do yelp - but you should make it a practice never to pick her up under her arms anyway. Pick them up like a cat, supporting both their lower and upper halves in transit - once you have them up though you can brace her back legs/bum against yourself and have a hand free.

You said exactly what I would have said Lisa. Neither of mine has ever tolerated being picked up under their arms, both of them get full support when I pick them up.

Back