• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

WHY????

coconut

i have jus being in my room getting changed and had freddie with me, we were playing on my bed as he is not allowed on our bed so while my h2b was watcing the match i was playing with freddie and he pee'd on my bed!!

Why would he do this???

Oh, man I remember when that was a problem here!! That's so annoying!! Then you have to clean it up and wash the sheets... ugh. Grace threw up on my bed recently so I totally understand.

Well, if he hadn't gone in a while and you were playing with him s he's still fairly young that can cause them to have to pee. Also, dogs often pee to mark where they want to claim a stake in the territory and a bed seems a great location to a dog (or often to cats too) -- it is full of deep smells of you and hubby2B!

Bed-peeing is a frequent training issue for people, if it makes you feel any better! Very rarely I still have an accident in the house with the dogs and it almost always is a dog peeing on the bed. :sl*p:

Here's some info on why dogs might be doing it:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Marking.php

And here's one response from Modern Dog magazine, it's a dog bed but the answer is relevant:

Ask Teoti Anderson
Q: Whenever my dog, Rose, or another dog at work gets a new bed, Rose will go over and pee on it right away. She does this to her new beds at home, too, where she is the only dog. Why does she do this and how should I deal with it? I've only once caught her in the act but we all know it's her. – Zachariah, Tucson, AZ.

Dear Zach,
It may be that Rose is marking the bed as "hers." It may be that somewhere along the line she learned it was okay to pee on beds. We can spend hours wondering why, but Rose can't tell us her motivation! Instead, let's spend our energy working on the real problem: Rose isn't housetrained. She thinks it's fine to pee indoors.

Before you address the issue, make sure she's really the culprit, or you will spend your time training the wrong dog! I suggest you start from scratch, as if you were training a puppy to be housetrained, and follow these guidelines:

* Supervise Rose at all times, or confine her if you can't watch her like a hawk. If you give her the freedom to pee on beds, you're setting her up to practice that behaviour. And practice makes perfect! Your goal is to take away any opportunities she has to pee on beds. If you're watching her, then you are in position to prevent the behaviour.

* Place her new bed on the floor and watch her. If she looks like she's about to pee, clip on her leash and rush her outside to potty. If she eliminates outside, praise her and give her a treat.

* If you do catch her peeing on the bed, just use a stern "No!", clip on her leash and run her outside to potty. If she finishes eliminating outside, praise her and give her a treat. Never rub her nose in her mess or use physical punishment with your dog. In addition to a housetraining problem, you could cause an aggression or fear problem. If you don't catch her in the
act, don't bother scolding her later...she won't understand. Instead, work harder to supervise her more closely next time.

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/toptrainers.html

You're not alone in this coconut. Bentley just pulled this on me last week, I was so shocked! I think sometimes it's a way for them to mark their territory, I'd just had Bentley out to go potty not 45 minutes prior to his piddling on my bed. Dogs will be dogs!
:flwr:

I've been there too recently - I feel your pain!

On the most recent occasion I didn't notice it until the next morning :grnyuk:

It has happened about 3 times now and everytime I banned them from the bedroom for awhile and then gradually I let them back in. We are going through a bad patch toilet training wise at the moment and it can be frustrating but its worth it in the end :p

this is the first accident in about a week, i think it may have being that he need to go out and was excited!!

Molly has peed on our bed twice...both times right after play time....and both times she had been out to pee within the hour before. Argh! Luckily for us the top blanket was a thick puffy comforter and we saw her do it, so we were able to strip the blanket off before it soaked through to the under blankets.

Molly is 6 months old and usually she does very good with going outside, but today she had 3 'accidents' in the house and normally I would blame myself for not paying attention, but today that was not the case. It's almost like after the first accident she just said 'what the heck, I'll try to do better tomorrow'

It's frustrating...hopefully this stage won't last forever.

he is 5 months old!! i do think it was excitement when i came down to let him out he was sitting waiting at the door and he was dying for the toilet

Oh bless him, it does sound like excitement & remember a young puppy can't always hold their wee, their bladders aren't strong enough.

Charlie has peed on our bed a few times but thankfully not for a long time. The last time he did it my poor hubby got a right shock, Charlie peed right on his feet but he was so far into his sleep he didn't know until I yanked the duvet off him :lol: I still laugh when I think of how he almost hit the ceiling, I think he must have thought there was a duvet theif on the loose :lol:

My boys often jump on the bed, when I'm doing something in the room and very very rarely, someone has a quick spray. It's a case of being watchful and warning anyone who is sniffing about.

Yep. happened to me last night. We had been out to dinner. Came home and took Maddy out. She peed and pooped. Okay! Safe. After an hour I went to bed and took her with me.
I pulled the duvet back and put her on the bed. Turned around to get my book and she was kinda squatting on the folded back duvet. Couldn't believe it when I saw the "liquid". Quickly cleaned it up and sprayed it with Natures Miracle. Haven't looked at in the daylight yet, but can't be great!
Pam

No matter what we think or do, they ares still dogs, aren't they?? :D

My "knee Jerk" reaction answer was that he was marking the bed - and most likely the spot where you sleep so that he could lay claim to you. But being an excited puppy can explain it too!

We have bought a new (king-sized) mattress since we've been here (that's within the past 10 years - not too old for a mattress) and you wouldn't believe the dog stains on it - everything from pee to puke to when Wallis's anal gland ruptured on it.

The cat likes to pee on one of the other beds. I finally bought some waterproof mattress covers that are a thin terry cloth w/soft plastic lining and haven't even put it on my bed yet. It is on the other bed, but I don't think that the cat has had any problems in there lately.

Good luck - hope he doesn't do it again.

When Tucker peed on my bed I think he was in a snit. Is this possible? When he wants to go to bed, and would like me to go too, since we sleep together, he walks into the bedroom and if I don't follow he comes back to the livingroom and stands in front of my chair staring at me. Then he'll go to the bedroom again, hoping I'll follow. One night, he went through this routine, only instead of staying in bed on his 2nd trip, he sprinted right back down the hallway to the living room, and jumped in his doggy bed by the fireplace. I went in the bedroom to investigate and he'd peed on the comforter on the bed. Does that sound deliberate to anyone else?

Sounds kind of deliberate to me! And we know that these little guys can get in their snits, too. It also sounds like he knew he had done something he shouldn't have.

Too smart for their own good sometimes, aren't they?

Back