• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Switching/Mixing Brands

Ginny1

Hi! I live in the US (Minnesota) and our 11 m/o ruby Jasper has been on Eagle Pack puppy, then the adult premium dry food. I've read where some people mix various brands together to give more of a variety and am curious as to whether anyone else does this.

I recently started introducing a small amount of wet Eagle Pack to his dry and he seems to love it.

With all of the choices out there, I don't want to fix something that "ain't" broke, but I really haven't seen very many posts on Eagle Pack.

Thanks!

I've never heard of Eagle Pack. I'd be careful mixing things up- could cause tummy problems. :( As with the wet food, yes they love it! My vet doesn't suggest feeding it to them though because it's not so good for their teeth (creates more cause for cleanings).

Eagle Pack is a good food- a lot of breeders use it. I have not tried it as there are lots of others out there too.

As for mixing and changing foods, I do this all the time and have never had a problem. I think as long as you're changing from premium food to premium food there shouldn't be an issue.

Tummy troubles WILL most likely happen when you go from a low-quality food to a premium food or vice versa.

I've reached the point where I like to switch from one premium food to another when it's time to buy a new bag. Two of my cavaliers are a bit sensitive to some ingredients, so I have to choose carefully and watch for sensitivities.

I don't feed kibble anymore, but back in the days when I did, I always had several different brands on hand and alternated what my dogs got. We never had any problems doing that.

Some people recommend that you find a suitable food and stick to it. This is necessary , if your dog has problems, but mine rarely get upset by anything, so I give them a change, taking advantage of special offers on good brands and giving tinned with mixer (their favourite) between large sacks or after several weeks of dried. Very occassinally they get left over brown stew (called 'lobby' in Stoke-on-Trent)

Monty is getting a little picky ,as he gets older, so he gets a small amount of tinned even with his dried complete, but he is quite lean due to his mvd.

Back