• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Licking

Ste

As it says in the title :lol:

Cody is a licker. She licks blankets, duvets, shoes, carpet, cushions, bookshelves, walls, u name it A quick 'stop' and she gives it up but i'm wondering if there's a reason behind it? Is it a Cav trait or could it be a sign of something medical or dietry?

Abbey is a licker too, but not really to the extent you're describing. She mainly just licks us and the cats when she can catch them. :lol:

It does seem to be a Cav trait though, as others have posted about it as well. Maybe try redirecting her with something she can lick-a bone, a toy, etc.

I always keep a toy on stand-by for when she starts, maybe i should just pin down on of the cats for her :lol:

It is pretty funny watching Abbey try to play with one of our cats--just different play styles, they don't so much like to bit on the neck as she doesn't so much like to be swatted at!! :lol:
It's actually kind of pathetic, but it makes for good humor! :lol:

I posted a similar post a while back. Cedar is a licker too! It gets really annoying, as she LOVES to lick your hands/arms/any exposed skin. (It's a great torture device if you're rough housing with someone: pin'em down and call the dog to lick their exposed belly!) If Cedar can't lick someone skin, she'll moves to clothes. She likes my husband's jeans. If she's on the carpet, she picks out a spot and licks away. (We just bought the house a few months ago; no idea what could be on that carpet!). She doesnt lick herself much, though. I guess she doesnt think she tastes as well as other things! ;)

I have not found a way to stop her licking. When it gets too disgusting on my skin, I put her down on the floor. <shrugs>

Reggie is too... he even licks the window now that it is cold and snowing out.
If he gets bad about it when I am holding him ....I just say ENOUGH..

That seems to work. He knows the tone of my voice..and that he will be put down if he doesn't stop.

Back