• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poopie Dance

goldcountryrose

Well, I didn't know if this was unique with Toby, but he always goes back and forth in a very small area....back and forth round and round....back and forth...round and round...then finally squats and does poo poo.

So when I take the Tobster out to go poo, I say, "Do the poopie dance, go poopoo outside" and he does.

Now I have Max, and he does the same thing, but slower. He goes this way and that way, goes around in circles, then finallhy goes.

Is this a Cavalier thing?

Hi!

Yes all mine do that too, it really is a Cavalier thing, although one of my girls, Bella also has to stand on her back legs with her front paws on the fence and walk along a few steps on her back legs too!! :lol: :grnyuk: :lol:

A lot of smaller dogs seem to do this more than big dogs. But friends' small dogs also do this. They just are finding the right spot. :lol: Lily doesn't tend to do this at all, nor Jaspar too much, but Leo does. So with mine it isn't a cavalier thing but a one out of three dog thing. :)

He he Harvey does it too - we figured he was sniffing for a safe and sweet smelling place to poop. It was wonderful when he started to do this (when his sense of smell really kicked in at around 4 months) as when toilet training it was a sure fire way of knowing what he was going to do and then we could sweep him up quickly and put him outside. I like your phrase poopie dance :)

:) I think all my dogs do it. They have to find just the right spot and get into just the right position. We have also noticed that our puppies even tend to do this when they are real young. A lot of times if they are out running around in the house we have enough time to pick them up and get them to their poop place; helps future owners with house training.

All of my dogs have done this regardless of breed. Have you ever noticed too how they won't poop & pee in the same spot. Man it get tiresome when you put them out for that last go before you retire to bed. They first run around looking for the pee spot, then 5 minutes later the perfect second pee spot, then another 5 minutes finding the perfect poop spot. Oh and then so much time has passed between the first pee & the last poop that now they need one last pee. And Sonny has to wait until Scarlett has done all her pees & poops so he can go an pee & poop on hers. Arrrrgh :D

Hi!

Yes all mine do that too, it really is a Cavalier thing, although one of my girls, Bella also has to stand on her back legs with her front paws on the fence and walk along a few steps on her back legs too!! :lol: :grnyuk: :lol:

I have one...my Jasmine that does that too! It is so funny to see.

I think most dogs do it. I believe it's similar to the circling they do, when about to lie down. There are two theories about that. One theory is that the behaviour is a throwback to flattening the ground to sleep in the wild and the other that it's a way of curving the spine.

I go with the latter, as Monty only does it when he's going to curl, rather than lie stretched out. When a dog does a poo, it curves it's lower spine quite tight, so the pacing etc could be a way of bringing this about.

All of my dogs have done this regardless of breed. Have you ever noticed too how they won't poop & pee in the same spot. Man it get tiresome when you put them out for that last go before you retire to bed. They first run around looking for the pee spot, then 5 minutes later the perfect second pee spot, then another 5 minutes finding the perfect poop spot. Oh and then so much time has passed between the first pee & the last poop that now they need one last pee. And Sonny has to wait until Scarlett has done all her pees & poops so he can go an pee & poop on hers. Arrrrgh :D

This is so true! My mini schnauzer does this exact thing! :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:

Alfie goes frantically round and round goes to squat, changes his mind, round and round somewhere else until he finds exactly the right spot. I am surprised he does not get dizzy.

Ariel does this, but my greyhound James doesn't. Unless you count making a lap around the back yard. One big circle.

What Yvonne said is closer to what Toby does. Also, the whole pee...pee...pee...crazy poopie dance, poo, pee pee pee. He rarely misses any section of the yard by the time he is done. It is a BIG PIA when I am ready to go to bed. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

Poopie Dance! I have two of those dancers too! Sure fire way you know you'll be back home in no time on that night time walk:D

Back