• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Success with Diets and Health

Charleen

Back in Sept. 2006 I was a little sad and dejected, because I had read Pippin's vet's notes and realized that he was diagnosed with grade 2 luxating patella and grade 1 heart murmur. I had just got him through Cataract surgery on both eyes 3 months earlier. His patellas were bothering him and he would yelp. I started him on Cosequin (glucosamine & chondroitin) supplement and put him on a diet.

I just took Pippin for his annual vet visit today and he is doing so well. I am so relieved and hopeful. Last year he weighed 28.8 pounds. He now weighs 26 pounds and looks really fit and trim. He no longer yelps when he walks. I asked the vet his diagnosis of Pippin's luxating patella and he said he thought it was a grade 1 and it is possible that it will never get worse. His eyes have healed so well and the eye vet said I can stop his eye drops next month.

I also had Luke and Merry on diets too and I had them weighed today. Success here too! Luke has gone from a high of 21.2 pounds down to 18.9 pounds in 9 months. Merry went from 20 pounds down to 16.8 pounds in the last 12 months. Jolly who turns 9 months old in 3 days weighed in at 15 pounds.

They all are healthy and happy. Now that the snow is melting, they will be able to spend more time outside running and playing. Not only is spring in the air, it is in my heart.

That is wonderful Charleen, I am so happy to hear such good news on Pippin and the weight loss on Luke and Merry. :D :D :D

Boy it just seems like last month that you got Jolly Jumper and he is already 9 months and 15 lbs. Where did the time go.

:shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

Good job Charleen. You have really helped them all. Overweight is related to so many health problems. You have helped them in many ways. even ways you can't even see and don't know about. This such good news. I remember back when you wrote about all of their health issues. You have turned things around. :D

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am using Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I had to cut back the quantity I was feeding them. I used to leave the food out all the time. Then once I started giving them only measured amounts twice a day, it took quite awhile to figure out the right quantity for each of them.

I had Wednesday in the vet today to have another checkup. She's on a diet dog food to keep her weight down from her foster home. She has luxating patella's too. Her weight is perfect...13.2lbs., she's petite though. That's one of the dog foods that the vet recommended. They don't make a light version of it???

Congrats on their weight loss Charleen! It isn't easy to find exactly how much to feed them to prevent weight gain, but you've succeeded! (y)

Back