• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Newbie with a question.

JustKazzy

Hi all, I have a 10 year cavalier with a heart murmur, Hope was diagnoised 2 years ago and since then has shown no outward signs and still runs about mad although she is beginning to slow down a bit now. She is not on any medication as of yet. My problem is Hope is due to under go surgery tomorrow to remove a growth from her eye and I'm really worried about the affect of GA on her heart. Does anyone have any experince of this or any advice?

Thanks

Karen and Hope

Is the vet aware of the murmur? What grade is the murmur? If she is on no medication it sounds like she isn't in congestive heart failure at this time. It is when the murmur is a high grade and there are the complications of CSF as well that surgery gets risky. However many would wish to have certain approaches taken to surgery on a dog with a murmur and I am sure some others with more experience on that front may mention those.

Many times a dog will need a surgery or procedure under GA that in the balance is more a risk to leave undone. I've had dogs with heart issues that needed dentals, neuters etc and it is always something you weigh up in the scheme of things.

Wishing you well for Hope tomorrow - I think I would ask the vet to do a blood panel first, just to make sure she is fit enough for a GA.

As Karlin says though, as long as they are aware of the murmur, and use an anaesthetic desiged for older/poorly dogs, there shouldn't be any problems.

Please keep us posted.

Hi,

Yeah the vet knows about her murmur, at the moment its a grade 2 murmur but has gotten slightly worse recently.

Hope does really require this surgery as we are not sure what the growth is on her, it's right on the lid near her tear duct and has grown alot over the past week. It will be getting sent away for testing after it has been removed.

I'm reading alot on here about seeing a cardiologist Hope has not been refered to one, should I be asking for this? She was diagnoised 2 years ago and since then has been fine.

Thank you
Karen.

Back