• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy training in Chicago area?

SHANO

I know there are a few Chicago people floating around here. Are there any suggestions of where to take puppies for training? Preferably in the NW suburbs.

Thanks!

Oh my--The burbs of Chicago is a large area and the traffic can be heinous. It depends on what type of training you want-- socialization and basic commands-- you can go to PetSmarts and sign up for their classes. If you wanted to get into agility, rally, obedience or conformation training, you need to find a class that fits with your comfort level (and you want it to be close to home-- or you will find excuses not to go). Actually, I have a decent training facility 2 miles from my house and I still find reasons not to go.

I took Brady to the Petsmart puppy class. I was happy with it. Brady wasn't able to go to quite a few classes though because he got ill plus one of the classes was Labor Day weekend and I was out of town. The only thing I didn't really like was that it was in the front of the store and people could look in and it got distracting to the doggies. Then there were a few times where we had to practice things in the isles and what dog isn't going to be distracted when there's other people, dogs, toys, and food around. Good puppy play time and my class only had 5 people in it.

WoodHaven said:
Oh my--The burbs of Chicago is a large area and the traffic can be heinous. It depends on what type of training you want-- socialization and basic commands-- you can go to PetSmarts and sign up for their classes. If you wanted to get into agility, rally, obedience or conformation training, you need to find a class that fits with your comfort level (and you want it to be close to home-- or you will find excuses not to go). Actually, I have a decent training facility 2 miles from my house and I still find reasons not to go.

I'd like the socialization and basic of course. But I'd also like some obedience training. What's conformation? I'm just so impressed with show dogs and how great they are.

Back