• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sally not impressed with visiting puppy

shippers

Our 20 month old girl Sally loves other dogs she meets on walks and plays happily with other dogs in the park. She also loves other Cavaliers and enjoys having our friends cavalier over to stay the night. So when a couple we know said they had a 9 week old springer spaniel puppy we thought it would be nice to introduce them and let them play together at ours (supervised of course). So last night they came round for tea and brought the boy pup. What a mistake! Sally was terrified of him. She started drooling lots and panting. She jumped next to me on the sofa and would not move. I was worried about her to be honest but tried not to reinforce her fear by cuddling her. The pup totally took over and played with all her toys and soon ignored Sal but she still would have nothing to do with him. Is this normal behaviour and what should we have done to help Sally? She has never met a young puppy before so I think she was shocked by his energy and bad manners!!! I was hoping we could have got another puppy in the future but would this be Sally's response to it and would she grow to like one with time? We are shocked we didn't think this would be her reaction at all as she's usually so happy and playful. I was also shocked that this pup tried to mount Sally at just 9 weeks old!! I didn't think this would happen. Of course we quickly made him get off. So needless to say the meeting was a disaster!

Have a look at Brotymo's "When Cavaliers Attack" you tube video on this board and you will know why your dog is probably fearful of rascally puppies! :D Little kids can be so annoying. :)

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about Sally. My vizsla is the same way with puppies. They terrify him. He still runs from Bandit and will only sniff him when he is lying down or facing the other way (and then only from behind!) As soon as Bandit gets up or turns around, Odin runs! He was the same way when Laddie (the collie) came to us, and also when Pixie came to us. He seemed to get over it gradually and then completely by the time the pups were about 6-7 months.

You might want to get her around some puppies somewhere neutral, like a PetSmart Store or somewhere similar that does training classes and have her there when the puppy class is present so she can observe without being forced to interact. It might desensitize her a bit.

my chingching (cocker spaniel ) loves dogs but only whey they are "other people's dogs" He was not impressed with his brother and foster brother at the when they were first introduced to him.However, he has came around to "tolreate' these dogs. :winkct:

Back