• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Camping with a cavalier puppy.

rubypup

Hi we are due to go camping at the weekend and just wondered if anyone had any tips on camping with dogs.
Are there essential things we should take in anyone's experience? We are taking our pups usual crate, bed, bowls etc. Just a bit worried that he wont settle at night with new noises to get excited over! Im hoping for some good weather but who knows - the uk is so changeable at the moment.

We are taking Fletcher camping soon. After the week at the beach (super hot weather) I am not at all worried about taking him camping. The weather would be my biggest worry too. Who likes camping in the rain?!?!?! My only advice is pack extra harness and leash (in case one gets wet) and bring his normal food, however I found with Fletcher didn't eat too well on vacation but....always make sure your pup has fresh water. Believe me Fletcher slept fine on vacation with so many new things to do he was a very busy pup during the day.

I love that cavalier's travel so well! Even tho he's a pup Fletcher is so laid-back about traveling he's just happy to be with us. Take lots of pictures, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Melissa

I try to bring things that my dogs love at home. So Thistle is currently in NJ with her fluffy bed, and the dragon squeak toys: Guinness is currently in England with his blanket, his ball, and Eeyore.

I find even in semi-familiar locations (friend's homes, etc) that having a favorite toy or blanket from home really helps my dogs come out of their shell.

My two and I camp in a tent quite regularly and I find something to tether them outside very useful - a corkscrew tether works well. They can then see what's going on but not be a pain (or in danger) while you are cooking or doing other things. If you're in a tent, I hope it's got a good porch - wet dogs are strictly kept in the porch, with the inner tent zipped up, until they have dried off! As Melissa says, if you do plenty of walking during the day, nothing will disturb their sleep at night.

If our weather starts to change (quite good forecast for Saturday) and you are in a tent, just be aware that sun shining on a tent can make it very hot - much too hot for dogs, so the tether is also useful for making sure they are on the shaded side of the tent when outside. Conversely, tents can get cold at night, so I take a quilted jacket along for each of them (known as their camping pyjamas!).

Oliver and Aled love camping - apart from nice walks, they have my company almost 24 hours a day (I don't actually take them to the shower with me!).

Enjoy your weekend!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice!
I will definitely look into getting a quilted jacket as this is something I hadn't thought about! We have only camped a couple of times as a family and have never owned a dog before so this is all new to us. I have bought a little uv protection sun tent for the beach for my pup and children to rest in if (fingers crossed!) we do end up having sunny weather. Unfortunately our tent has an open plan porch/living area with separate sleeping pods so that may make for a messy time if he does get very wet and muddy!! If all goes well ill have to look into an add on porch for next year.
I have borrowed a double ended long lead to clip to my ground screw so hopefully he will be able to have a bit of freedom around the tent whilst being safe and secure.
Thanks again for you help!:)

You are all making camping sound like so much fun! I need to stop being a prissy chic and go (maybe, lol)

Actually, I HATE camping!!!!! But to white water raft where I want to camping is kinda the only (and cheapest) option. Tho I love the outdoors I like to leave in behind and enjoy the inside after a few hours. My husband and the rest of the family LOVE camping usually, they camp closer to home so I go during the day and come home at night :) Then go on and on about wimpy Mommy but whatever.

We are going to raft the Gauley River in West Virginia, my husband plans on taking our 4 year old and Fletcher (who cannot raft) fishing at lake near by for the day.

Whitewater rafting is the ONLY reason I will camp!!!!

Melissa

NB The jacket doesn't need to be quilted of course! Those just happened to be the cheapest coats that looked warm...

Our holiday last year was camping for 10 days at a lovely site on the North Norfolk coast - tents and camper vans only, no caravans (some luxury yurts for Melissa!); ecologically friendly (solar heating for showers); very dog-friendly - the owners have a border collie and a husky; reasonably priced; two dog-friendly pubs within a short walk (Norfolk is full of them!) and a small supermarket and a lovely cafe next door to the campsite; and the real bonus, it's on a regular half-hour bus route that goes all round the coast from Kings Lynn to Cromer, so you can leave the car behind and just hop on and off all day. And the beaches are vast, empty and, except in one or two of the towns, dog-friendly. We had such a lovely time, and I am really sad that I haven't been well enough this year to go again.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

This thread is spooky. Had our first tent delivered today, to windy here to try putting it up so waiting till weekend when the weather is supposed to be better.
I was thinking about getting those towels that you fit on the dogs to dry them off. Has anyone got them? And if so where did you buy them.

Nanette

Kate, that sounds so nice! I went camping twice in my late teens, it was an experience to say the least.... One that left such an impression I camp at a Hilton ;-)

Back