• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sensitive Tummy?

NurseSophie89

Does anyone elses Cavvie have a very sensitive tummy?

Lola seems to have vomitting/diahorrhoea about once every 2months! Our vet isnt worried but i am! We think its to do with rawhide chews maybe.. she seems to wolf them down cause she loves them so much as we're wondering if maybe they are the issue? Anyone have any experience of this? Thanks x

oliver had a really sensitive stomach..he had to have a certian food..and we couldnt give him dog treats or anything.. if he did it would just wreck him for days.
i wouldnt worry either. as long as youf ind a food that goes with their stomachs.. keep them off the things that 'wreck them'

i always felt bad for him because he KNEW treats..hed had them before.. i used to give him one whenever we left grandmas (we stopped in on our nightly walks) hed get those big pleading eyes..bulgy..lmao.
poor guy.

i wouldnt worry too much though.

My Oliver gets a runny bottom when he eats chicken. So nothing with chicken in now and he is a lot better.
He does still get the odd runny poo but nothing like before, I've not managed to work out if there is something else that sets him off.

He used to eat Royal Canin for Cavs and that is chicken flavour!! As soon as I changed him off that it was really obvious whenever he ate a bit of chicken the next morning would be an unpleasant pick up for me! ;)

I'd cut out the rawhide and see how you go. If it is rawhide it might be all beef products... So try a completely free from beef diet and then give a little bit of the excluded food and you can easily confirm an upset tummy on the re-introduced food. You might need to just exclude raw hide or it might be everything beef related.

Good luck.
M&O

I had a dog would loved rawhide as well, did the same thing to him. What about treats what kind do you give her? I had a cat (one and only) she was allergic to dyes in so many cat foods....this was a long time ago, I didn't know better. How old is Lola, puppy runs is pertty common, every once in awhile.

Try no more rawhide, and cut back on any treats (or switch to something simply, like raw carrots....I cut a baby carrot in half), also try canned pumpkin with her meals. I was suprised how well it worked. I feed Wellness kibble and I switched Fletcher from the puppy to the regular, my vet said to add a tablespoon of pumpkin just to help with the switch over. He loves it!!!! I now use pumpkin as a topper with his evening meal.

Good Luck,
Melissa

Hi our Ruby has a similar sensitive tum, i worked out that dentistix were too rich for her,as is chicken. i give her pooch & mutt probiotics on her tea which does help BUT she can go ages,all normal then she gets poorly tum again(couple of times a year)out of the blue,so off we go to the vets for the tablets for her as nothing i can do at that point makes her better-bless.

I to have had problems with sensitive tummies with my two, Dentistix was a problem with my oldest dog, so we stopped him having them, but partly he had problems because of this age but Chappie has helped him as part of his diet and he is so much better. Ollie my youngest has had on and off problems for a while and I changed him from James Wellbeloved Chicked and Rice to Burns Chicken and Brown Rice which did help for a while, but then we had problems again, I have recently put him on Burns Lamb and Rice, he really likes this food, he did`nt seem to like James Wellbeloved Lamb and Rice, and finally he is so much better, so it must have been chicken that did`nt agree with him. I am really careful what treats they both have and am pretty mean and only give them one small treat for their supper every day.

I honestly think that rawhide chews are hard for any dog to digest let alone the smaller breeds like a Cavalier.
Even our large dogs had trouble w/ them ( same issues..> diahrrea)...sooooo we quit giving them all together.
A raw carrot like Melissa suggested is better for them..and it gives them something to knaw on for awhile.
If you want to give them a bone ( to help w/ dental cleanliness)..I would purchase a real antler bone. They sells them now at most Pet shops. The dogs like them & rather them getting a piece of rawhide...they chew on these forever !!
In the hot weather.. I also melt a bouillon cube & add water to a butter dish & freeze it. Give them each one out on the deck and they LOVE it !
Whenever our dogs would have tummy issues ( for whatever reason??) ...there are various natural ways to help them.
FLAVORLESS sport drinks will help your pooch after a 'bout w/ diahrrea. It's just like us...they may need re-hydrated..and it will add the needed electrolytes they may have lost. Just do so "very" sparingly. You don't want to give much to a small dog. ~
( 1/4 a cup)

Another great tummy treat is plain yogurt. Coates their tummy w/ the "good bacteria" for the intestines. A few teaspoons.

AND..dogs CAN take Tumms. It isn't going to hurt them at all. If in doubt..call your Vet..but ours has advised them at times. One for a dog 10lbs. or so should be plenty.
HTH !!

Probably related to something she eats at that time. You'd expect the issue to be far more common I think, if it were just the rawhide, not just every two months, unless sometimes she is perhaps swallowing large pieces (which is dangerous). What does she bring up? What has she eaten the previous 12 hours or so? Next time she does it, I'd make a list and start eliminating the suspect foods.

Also -- does she tend to eat things on walks? This can cause reactions like this.

I have one inveterate sidewalk surfer who snatches things fast (Lily). She also has a sensitive tummy from time to time. She can be prone to bleeding diarrhea as well but I know with her, that she doesn't need to rush to the vet as it basically goes right away of I stop food for 12-24 hours. I also keep Prokolin and might give her some of that or some pepto bismol tablet (but correct dosage is important).

I'm sure she just is prone to tummy issues (Lily). Even on a raw diet she still has mixed hard and soft stools.

The main thing to watch for is that these can be signs of chronic gastroenteritis -- which has a higher rate in the breed than in many others. Gastroenteritis can be very serious. So good to keep an eye out. Fatty foods tend to initiate vomiting/the runs with gastroenteritis (eg scraps from the table, pig's ears etc(.

Thank you all for your replies! Its so hard to try and work out what exactly is the cause of her problem. I think its a combo of swallowing large chunks of rawhide, and also the day she was ill, she'd had a jumbone, and there were large chunks of it in the vomit. We fasted her for 24hrs then have her rice and chicken and shes right as rain now. No more vomitting or diahorrhoea. The issue with Lola is that she is SUCH a picky eater. She point blank refuses to eat 99% of dog foods, and believe me, we've tried them all. She'll just about tolerate iams.. but even thats a struggle and needs to be mixed with something else. Do any of you feed your dogs Liver? Thanks xx

I had problems with one of my boys Baxter as he had a very sensitive tummy, he constantly had the runs and we were at the vets weekly to have his anal glands emptied. It took just over a year to find a food that both of my boys were fine with, I tried every food going from the cheapest to the most expensive, then Hills brought out a new range called vet essentials, our vet nurse recommended the food to me and we haven't looked back, it's quite high in fibre which is good for their tummy although I buy it from petmeds now and not the vets as it's a little cheaper, I buy the adult mini, it's normally around £28 for the 7kg bag or £35 at the vets
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p2-8400-hills-vet-essentials-adult-dog.aspx

I do feed my boys Liver but as well as frying it I make a Liver cake which always goes down well, 1 Pack Liver, 1 Large egg, 1 crushed garlic clove, 2 tablespoons self raising flour. Blitz the liver in a food processor until it turns from red to pale pink, add the egg and garlic and mix again. Stir in the flour and put in the microwave for up to 4 minutes or until the 'cake' is cooked through. You can then chop up into squares and freeze for up to a month. Be warned though it smells awful when it's cooking but they will love you for it ;)

hi
yes my louie has a sensitive tummy i have no idear what causes him to have this problem. the day's when his tummy is not so good he will eat grass and then bring up with bile and of his food for most of the day

like this morning he would not eat his breakfast then 2 hours later he was up the garden eating grass then shortley later he eat some treats. i wish i new why this happenes i have tryed missing out his food to see which one makes his tummy upset
when i cut the lawn i always leave some grass round the sides just incase.
sending kisses and cuddles to lola from louie and his mum

Well here we go again! Lola has vomitting & diahorrhoea again! Shes had it for the past days! We took her to the vet again, this morning she had blood tests for possible pancreatitis which came back clear, she also had an xray and barium studies done. The barium studies showed some sort of issue at her pylorus(the outlet of the stomach to the intestines), possibly a mass of some sort, or something shes swallowed. Thankfully shes not obstructed as the barium was able to pass into her intestines. He sent her home this evening, to return tomorrow morning for an endoscope under sedation (camera down throat into belly) to have a little look, and then depending on the findings surgery. Me and mum are worried sick about her, poor little baby. :( :( What a nightmare this is turning into, but hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it this time!!

Sorry to hear that Lola is still having problems. I have no advice to give you, just want you to know that I wil be thinking of you tomorrow and hope that the vet can find out what's wrong.

Thank you ladies. I really am at my wits end worrying about her! Shes just so helpless and it makes me so sad to see her unwell like this. Our vet is fantastic thankfully, hes a real star! He let me come in and have a look at her xrays and stuff, and being a nurse I was able to spot the area of bother immediatley. He offered to let me observe tomorrow while they scope her, but i'd be a nervous sobbing wreck, no way!!!! Just really hope this all gets sorted soon, hate my baby suffering!

Well... we are still no further on in this whole saga! Collected Lola from the vet this pm, she was totally drugged up and drowsy from the anaethesia, poor baby. Basically, the endoscopy didnt show anything apart from a few areas of inflammation in the esophagus and belly, which could have been caused simply by vomitting. So we are still unsure as to what is going on. Next step appears to be diet testing. I felt so guilty this evening, the poor wee woman was just so drowsy and kept looking at me as thought i'd betrayed her. Shes also huffing with us all, refusing to give kisses etc! Oh dear... I just want whats best for her.

We have also decided to switch her from Iams to Hills GI health dog food.. anyone else use this? Hopefully she'll take it, as the iams is a battle in itself, and usually we cave and just feed her chicken/ham/liver etc with rice and veggies.
This is especially for dogs who suffer from vomitting and diarrhoea and comes in a few flavours! http://www.hillspet.co.uk/en-gb/en-gb/products/pd-canine-prescription-diet-dd-duck-and-rice-dry.html
Thanks again x

Last edited:
This is a worry for you, I hope you get some answers soon & Lola is more comfortable. Please can you tell me how long you had to starve Lola before the Endoscopy? My little one has had on going Colitis for 5 months & our vet has suggested an endoscopy, but I would have to starve her for 48 hours, I honestly don't think I could cope as she lives to eat! It was bad enough missing breakfast for her when she had teeth out last year.

Have you thought of giving Lola a bit of Slippery Elm? It's working for us at the moment, but of course it may only be masking the problem, so that takes us back to the endoscopy.

Don't give her any dog treats or chews for a few weeks, and see how that goes. Our Sophie loved her NylaBone chews, but they caused awful uncontrollable (and usually while we were not home) diarrhea. I finally figured it out, removed NylaBone from her life, and we haven't had any more episodes. The one time I gave her a rawhide chew that was not made here in the U.S.A (NOT that they're better than European ones)., she was quite close to a bowel obstruction (or something like that, according to her vet) and had vomited a few times. Surely you have European made rawhide over there. The caution is that some dogs cannot handle the ones made in Asia, etc. due to chemicals used in the processing or manufacture.

Good luck!

Back