• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Xena

arasara

I feel it's important to remember the love of my life, Xena because she was my best friend for 9 long years. It's hard for me to move on, but Kosmo's doing a great job of helping me in the healing process.

Xena was born on March 16th, 1996. After a few weeks in our house it became evident that she would be my dog as she slept on my bed, took my covers, and hung out with me all the time. SHe ended up being 130lbs and the bigger she got, the smaller my bed got. :yikes

At about 8 years old she developed tumors on her neck and her back. She also developed a leaky bladder and I had to get up and let her out at least one and sometimes two times during the night. I think going through that experience really helped to set me up to be able to take Kosmo out when he was so young.

She became my primary passenger in my truck during her last years. She also would do anything for Wendy’s Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers. (SHH!) She only got them every once in a while. :p

The vet said that she probably had cancer and we should think about what we wanted to do about that. I decided since she was my dog that I was going to let her live her life to the fullest until I could visibly see that she was suffering. She stayed with me at the house until I moved to Toronto in September of 2004. It killed me to leave her, but my mom and dad loved her unconditionally as well and I couldn’t bring her here. She stayed with my parents until she went to Rainbow Bridge on Friday the 13th of May, 2005. *ng*l I love Xena to pieces still and I cannot thank her enough for teaching me love, trust, patience, and most importantly an unconditional love of animals. :flwr:

This is my favorite picture of Xena. Not sure how I got it, but it happened!:

b28762885.jpg

This is her in her younger days looking all rambunctious on the porch. I think she ended up eating that food dish.

b28870810.jpg

This picture is funny because it's Xena and our other dog, Isabel. Isabel was in heat so we had to come up with some creative clothing for her.. lol :p And Xena - look how patient and easy going she is!

b28870933.jpg

This is Xena and I when I got my graduation pictures taken. She was SOOO sweet. I am really glad I got a professional picture taken with her because I will keep it forever.

b28871113.jpg

This is my little cemetery for her. In the states I lived in a very open farm neighborhood where it's still O.K to bury your animals in your back yard. This is the bottom of my grandma's garden and it is overlooking a huge field where she could have ran and played for the rest of her days.. I brought some flowers for Christmas and sent her some when she died. Too Bad the picket fence wouldn't stay together, but it's ok because she knows I meant well.

b28871232.jpg

I feel it's important to remember Xena and how much I loved her as I grow closer to Kosmo. I miss her so much - If I could have had her live with me for the rest of my life, I would have.. even if she did fart ALL the time. I remember one time when Avi came from Toronto for Christmas he came and woke me up and "SARA!! You gotta hear this! Your dog just farted and it had SO MUCH PRESSURE that it actually made her body curve as it came out!" :yuk: ANd I said YEP, she makes me proud! :) :rah: hehe

I understand how you feel, you don't just stop loving because they are not there and you never forget either.

I'm so happy though that you now have a new friend to share your life with. It is never a replacement and it shouldn't be either, but a whole new bundle of fun to love and cherish.

Remember your Xene with love and fond memories, that is their gift to us and it lasts forever and ever.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories. Xena sounds like a wonderful girl. Makes me want to hug all my babies so tight. The happy and sads of owning a dog...wish their lifetime was as long as ours.

It's so sad when our doggies die. They truely are a member of the family. Xena sounds lovely.
I just love the photo of the smaall dog on xena. xena kooks very patient there.
Brid.

Sara, I can see why you loved her so much. She was a beautiful baby with a wonderful expressionful face. I laughed at her eating the Wendy burger - was it one bite or two?

What sort of dog was Xena? Was she a Mastiff? She was certainly a big hunk of love :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v: :l*v:

Xena was a french mastiff, AKA dogue de bordeaux. They have a very interesting breed history if you want to check it out. :) Big Hunk? You got that one right!!! She was so big and bulky. If you opened the door and she wanted out she'd move you out of the way - lol it was her way or no way. :) It does suck when animals die but I am very thankful that I had her and that I was able to grow in the way that I did. I wouldn't take it back for anything. I am also glad instead of putting her to sleep I made the dicision to watch her and take care of her no matter what kind of inconvenience it placed on me because in her last days, she truly was still "Xena." We named her after Xena the big warrior princess, are ya surprised? hehe :)

sara--that was a wonderful tribute to xena, conveying the kind of 'person' she was, and how she touched your heart so powerfully, i feel that i know her and love her from reading your post and seeing the pictures. She was really special.

I loved reading about Xena. It's obvious how much she meant to you and how much she taught you. She sounds like she was a real sweetheart...and the picture of her with Isabel shows how sweet she was. What a beautiful dog she was. I think you were both very fortunate to have each other. Sounds like a match made in heaven. Thanks for sharing.

Sara

So sorry I just saw this post, I am now sitting here crying tears of the wonderful life you showed Xena. I personally never grew up with any animals and feel strongly that they definetely should be a part of a childs life.

What a gorgeous dog she was, such love and devotion on your part as a child taking the responsibility for her.

Your memory touched me of her, and as we all know they do leave us sometime. I dread that day with all my heart as I know I will fall to pieces.

May she be playing free of pain with her friends at the rainbow bridge.
Fly free *ng*l

Back