• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potato Chips

My Henry Boy

I think cavaliers are just like chips, in that you can't have just one!
I've been looking at the rescues and shelters every few days. One baby came across that I would have loved to bring home, he's just 12 weeks a cheeky Blenheim boy, but the rescue wouldn't even consider us because we have a 5 year old child. I was so upset.
I know that one that is meant to be mine will come along.
That's all, I just needed to share here, knowing I'd be understood.

Shari, don,t be disappointed, i,am a very firm believer in fate and destiny! That little baby was not meant to be, but out there somewhere there is a special little rescue cavalier waiting for you, be patient, and when that time comes you will be over the moon that you were chosen to be that person. karen, ruby and sadie :paw:

Shari,
I have been there. I don't think its fair for a rescue group or shelter to turn you down just because we have small children. I mean I understand not all parents are good parents and can allow the kid to become unruly and hurt the puppy HOWEVER there are plenty of good parents who actually understand the word SUPERVISION willing to work at making a dog and a child work. I mean they don't even bother to ask about the kid or do a home visit, like we are all unfit puppy/dog parents. That is SO untrue....here is a willing forever home for a dog and they won't even consider you because you have kids under 12? Well guess what are they even giving ANY thought that kids over 12 or whatever can misbehave and think its funny to tease a dog (teenagers are just as dangerous) It annoys the heck outta me, can you tell.

Fletcher came from a shelter, sure I had to provide personal references and they wanted to talk to my vet, but because of the distance a home visit was not going to happen, but they spent time interviewing me on how I would handle this or that. I'm so glad they would at least explore the option. Not just stereo type my 4 yr old or my parents skills.

Again I understand why groups screen families their main goal is to provide forever homes however labeling EVERY child under 10 or 8 or 5 unfit to live with a dog so completely unfair.

Years ago, I offered to foster rescue beagles, I got the same response because at the time my older kids were 2 and 5. I called the coordinator in my area and gave her my two cents and she agreed to do a home visit and met my children. Actually she wanted to come several times. Well, guess what after being in my house for one visit she agreed that I would be great at foster work. I ended up becoming their go to foster in my area to deal with shy dogs. Unfortunately, I got divorced and had to move to a smaller house with barely a back yard so I stopped doing foster work. But I did it with 2 small kids for almost 3 years.

Sure, I have had some problems with Fletcher and my 4 year old monster, however I NEVER leave them unsupervised and I am willing and able to resolve any issues that arise including crating my son :) no just kidding. My 4 year old now is WAY more wild than my older 2 were however, I have to keep the kid and the dog so we are just going to have to do whatever is necessary to train them both to live together in harmony.

Sorry that was rant-ish but it's my opinion.

Melissa

Especially I already have a Cavalier, my kids are awesome. I would give the references without hesitation, and my vet has offered to do a home visit for a rescue that wasn't local. But I feel it's just not right. I have a nice home, a fenced yard and well behaved kids. But whatevs... The right one will come along, and we will be a fabulous fit!

When we started looking for a second, we spotted a lovely looking Tri with one eye, I can't for the life of me remember his name. We totally fell in love with him, but it turned out he'd already got his forever home. We were gutted, but then we ended up with Misty from the same rescue, and she's my little angel. She was the "one" for us, and I couldn't think about life without her, although the way Murphy sighs at her some days, I think he could! :badgrin:

I truly believe things happen for a reason too. I am sure there is just the PERFECT little Cavalier waiting for you..and it will be at the right time...and the PERFECT fit. :D
In our area.. sadly..we rarely see Cavaliers. They are desperately hard to come across. In fact most people when we go to the dog park..have never heard of them. Although Wrigley gets tons of...> " Oh isn't he the cutest little guy?"..to which I have to say I firmly AGREE!! :eek: ...lol.. then have to explain he is NOT a Cocker Spaniel !! :sl*p:
Hope you find your second little furry friend soon !

I truly believe things happen for a reason too. I am sure there is just the PERFECT little Cavalier waiting for you..and it will be at the right time...and the PERFECT fit. :D
In our area.. sadly..we rarely see Cavaliers. They are desperately hard to come across. In fact most people when we go to the dog park..have never heard of them. Although Wrigley gets tons of...> " Oh isn't he the cutest little guy?"..to which I have to say I firmly AGREE!! :eek: ...lol.. then have to explain he is NOT a Cocker Spaniel !! :sl*p:
Hope you find your second little furry friend soon !

Yeah, Diane there are NO cavalier's where I life either, or so I thought.....I joined a Meet Up Group in my area (just google it) of NOTHING but cavalier owners. Sure its about an hr drive but I am going to my first meet up tomorrow. I think there area a lot more closet cavalier's around than you think.

Melissa

Yeah, Diane there are NO cavalier's where I life either, or so I thought.....I joined a Meet Up Group in my area (just google it) of NOTHING but cavalier owners. Sure its about an hr drive but I am going to my first meet up tomorrow. I think there area a lot more closet cavalier's around than you think.

Melissa

Melissa..unfortunately...the only group that is "breed specific" ( to Cavaliers) is 3 1/2 hours from us. :(
There are other ALL breed groups..but again..closest is 2 hours as well.

Back