• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dehydrated raw food...anyone tried it yet?

hbmama

When I went to buy my frozen raw Primal dog food at the Pet Supply this afternoon, they gave me two sample packets of dehydrated raw dog food. I was wondering if anyone on the boards has tried this yet? One is called "Embark" (made with turkey, vegetables and fruits, grain free), and the other is "Force" (made with chicken, veggies and fruits, also grain free.) You are supposed to rehydrate with 1/4 cup water and let it sit for 10 minutes. It says that you can serve as a complete meal or add other ingredients your dog enjoys if you like.

I thought that it might be a good travel food when I can't safely keep raw meat. Anyone???

I've heard of it before. They sell it on a site I like. Its expensive tho! Hopefully someone will be able to help you with their review :)

You're talking about Honest Kitchen. It's an excellent food. If we were to travel extensively and not be able to feed Primal, that would be my go to choice. We usually stay somewhere that has a fridge (be it a cabin or a hotel room with a mini fridge) and I bring our food along in a cooler. But if this weren't an option I would feed Honest Kitchen.

I wanted to buy it once, but it was something like 4x as expensive as the raw frozen so I just packed that on ice for my trip. Let us know how you like it!

It is extremely expensive, but I am glad they gave me a sample to see if she will even eat it. I will try it tomorrow in place of her primal, just to see. Will let you know the results. It would be good to have in a pinch when on the road.

I used the Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw for Miles once when we went out of town and my parents watched him (it was much easier for them to prepare than his normal meals ;)). He liked it, so I would definitely use it again if we were traveling. I actually got a sample of the Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw for cats about a week ago, and my cats went NUTS for it!!! I've been slowly trying to switch them over to raw and have had no success (the little stinkers detect the slightest bit of raw in their wet food!), but I mixed this stuff up with warm water and they both went crazy for it. I know it's expensive, but it might be worth keeping some on hand for when you're traveling, etc...

Well, tried it, she like it, sort of. The Primal raw is eaten quickly, and she spent a little more time testing and eating the Honest Kitchen dehydrated food. I think it will do in a pinch while traveling. Thanks so much for all of your replies!

One more question....Cathy T. (or anyone else please chime in), when you travel with the Primal frozen in a cooler, once it defrosts, but is still on ice or in a refrigerator, how long is it safe to keep and feed before you have to toss it? :confused:

I feed raw, and really want to make my own dry treats - as it is a messy business when you are travelling.

Must get off my behind and make a dehydrator, to see if I can do it from home.
You could use a card board box and cover with foil inside, or a plastic container. Make some vent holes top and bottom, a shelf - perhaps an old fridge shelf - and a heating element - i.e. lightbulb.
Put in your raw meat and turn onthe light. Leave a day or so. - should keep for ages and has benefit of the live enzymes. - so I am told.

Anyone given it a go?

I put it in the cooler frozen and it's usually still frozen by the time we reach our destination. We usually stay in cabins so there's usually a freezer available. Defrosted the food is good for 3-5 days.

Back