• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shark teeth

BarbMazz

Clancy is teething furiously. The problem is, very few of his baby teeth have come out! He has a double row on top in the front, and has EIGHT canines right now. :yikes

He is busily chewing on a meaty bone this minute, but the baby teeth are not wanting to budge. I don't have a good count, but I'd say he has 10 baby teeth that are firmly still there with the permanents right next to, or behind them.

Do I need to fill the vet in about his ultra abundance of teeth? How long do I wait to see if the baby ones will come out on their own?

:yikes :yikes :yikes 8 CANINES!!!! I would hate for your little shark boy to get a hole of one of my sandals!!!! Wow!!
I would call the vet and ask...over the phone advice is free and will let you know if you should worry more. It seems odd that none of them have fallen out yet. I have heard about 2 or three puppy teeth that need to come out when it is time for a spay or nueter, but never an entire mouthful. How old is he?

Keep giving Clancy some great chews, and they will probably work themselves out. If you can, wiggle the baby teeth every now and then (just like a human kid does!)

Has Clancy been fixed yet? If there are any remaining baby teeth hanging in there when he's fixed, the vet will probably pull them while he's under for the surgery.

:xctly: They do tend to come out with enough encouragement but if they are not moving at all, will need to be pulled. Vets often do this at the time of a neuter.

That happened to a Yorkie I knew of years ago. If they don't come out, they will have to be pulled. Come on puppy, start shedding those teeth! ;)

Bertie had this problem, just his canines retained and the vet pulled them on Wednesday when he was neutered.

Prior to them being pulled, he had swollen glands which I was worried about, since they've been removed, the glands have gone right down, who'd have thought something like that could cause the glands to swell so much.

Alison

Back