• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ruby coughs after water

littlelady

Hi all, I have had ruby since 8 weeks old, for the last 2 months i have noticed she coughs after drinking water, i dont know why????? it is only with water! do you think i should ask my vet? she seems fine and it goes fast it may be 1 cough after drinking water she doesnt do it with food and when she sneaks my tea she doesnt do it then!

rubys mom

my ruby dose that also only after drinking water shes 2 now and ive only noticed her doing it the last past couple of months thought she was just drinking it too fast :rolleyes:

Gus does this all the time only after drinking water..he is 6 and 1/2 now and has always done this..the other two don't.

Millie does this sometimes too after drinking water - I have always put it down to her gulping it too fast

Jaspar did this sometimes when a puppy; never happens now. I wouldn;t be concerned but you can mention it to your vet next time you are in just in case -- maybe s/he will know what causes it and you can let us know!

Be cautious about having a dog drink anything with caffeine. A small amount of tea or coffee isn't going to be a problem but this is not a good habit to encourage. If a cavalier got access to instant coffee and ate the contents of a jar there's enough caffeine in that to kill.

Good article here on caffeine poisoning in pets and amounts in various foods and drinks. Note there is loads of caffeine in chocolate so on top of chocolate being potentially lethal as well because of the cocoa, the caffeine is also dangerous.

Back