• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

older male peeing at night??

sunshinekisses

We have been to the vet alot the last month for my 9 yr old cavalier. First we went in for the SM consult. Then he had a slipped disc that required steriods and other meds for a week. Now he is having pee accidents at night. Vet wants to treat for uti but I am not sure that is the problem. I hate to give him more medication if it isn't needed.

Do neutered males lose their bladders like spayed females? Or perhaps he just needs an extra potty break during the night? He isn't having any other signs of a bladder infection and is drinking normally.

He sleeps in a crate at night, so is peeing on himself.

Not sure about SM medications, but isn't one of them a diuretic? This could cause the accidents/extra potty break. I had this problem with Sydney when he was on his heart meds.

Is he off the steroids? Steroids are really hard for some dogs to handle. Our first dog couldn't take them because they just made her pee all the time. If he is still on them or hasn't been off them for long, maybe they're still in his system and are causing him to pee at night. A thought. Then again, he might have a UTI. Did they check his urine? My older male (almost 12)is now on his second UTI in a year - don't know if older males are more prone to it or not. I'd probably at least have his urine cultured out if he's not still on steroids.

I'd ask for a culture too. That way, you know if that's the problem or not, and what specific family of antibiotics to use. Also ask about checking his thyroid. Our boxer would have a seizure at night, wet herself and we didn't know what was going on until we were awake for the third one. The seizures and slightly thinning hair were the only symptoms. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Starting on SM meds, which usually include a diuretic such as Zitac, can make dogs pee a lot, so his accidents may stop in a week or two. Gabapentin can make them drowsy as well, so it may be that he's sleeping more deeply and not waking up to ask to go out - the drowsiness wears off too. Dogs usually hate wetting their beds, so it sounds as if he's either getting 'caught short', which could be due to the diuretic, or not waking up, which could be the gabapentin (assuming he's on it!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks for all the feedback. I will talk to my vet again about possible meds causing the problem and getting urine sample. We tried at the vet office but he wouldn't pee.

Generally to get a urine sample, they take it directly from the bladder with a needle. That way they can send it off for a sterile culture. Sounds horrible, but Oliver never seems to mind.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will talk to my vet again about possible meds causing the problem and getting urine sample. We tried at the vet office but he wouldn't pee.

I'm a little confused. Exactly what drugs has he taken and when?

Steroids can indeed cause a dog to drink more and, as a result, urinate more. These drugs stay in the system for awhile, esp. if he had an injection rather than pills. But I don't think you said that he has started meds for SM, you just mentioned an SM consult and meds for the disc problem. That's why I asked about a complete list of what drugs have been given. Have you noticed increased drinking?

Cimetidine (Tagamet/Zitac) is not a diuretic, it is a histamine2 blocker. Side effects don't include increased urination; in fact, in the human literature - "less than usual urination" is a listed side effect. (This symptom is not listed in the veterinary drug handbook.)
http://www.rxlist.com/tagamet-drug/patient-images-side-effects.htm#sideeffects

I agree about getting a urinalysis and possibly a sterile culture. And yes, they get urine via cystocentesis to do a culture - directly from the bladder with a needle. This is not painful, and you should take the dog to the vet with a full bladder so that the procedure is easier. You might also consider getting a blood chem panel to check kidney values, esp. if you haven't had that done recently.

I have had a couple of older male dogs with "neuter incontinence." You would find smallish to medium damp places on beds where he has been resting or sleeping, esp. after deep sleep. This is called enuresis - involuntary leaking of urine. That would be different than a dog peeing inappropriately in the house more deliberately - which can happen with drugs such as steroids or with kidney disease. There is a drug that is pretty effective for enuresis due to lack of sphincter control if that is the problem. Normally you would rule out other causes such as UTI or drug side effect before trying that drug.

Pat

He was on a steroid and a couple other drugs....we are treating the back pain. Not SM pain....we did consult with the vet and are waiting for neuro consult. But inbetween he hurt himself (slipped disc) and I am not sure the meds he has now is steroid, they are for inflamation and pain because he still won't go up stairs. I do know the vet gave a steriod shot and a steroid med for a week. Anyway, he has another appointment with the vet as I decline the meds for UTI and said I would wait it out a few days. (btw, my vet is a country vet so sometimes he does the easiest solution first. I usually have to request extra if I feel it is needed but he is very good about listening to me.) His incontinence did start a few days after the vet visit for the slipped disc so it makes sense it might be drug affect.

I was freaking out a little that he was aging very quickly in a short amount of time.

Back