• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Length of heat- a little confused

Donna27

A lot of you gave me great advice when I realized Fiona had gone into her first cycle right before she was supposed to get spayed, and that was over two weeks ago now. She had been VERY lightly spotting the whole time, and I did not notice any swelling.

Now, my question is :Is there such thing as a pre-heat cycle? From what I understand, the actually bleeding part is only supposed to last 7-10 days, sometimes two weeks, which would mean she should be done with that part of her cycle now, and it would be the "mating" part or whatever we should call it.

A few days ago, Fiona started actually bleeding, and was very swollen (now I know what everyone was referring to, haha). I guess I'm just a tad confused because I thought the bleeding part should be winding down, not getting worse after 2 weeks already. It almost seems like now she's in her "real" cycle, and she was just "spotting" before. is this possible? :confused:

She likely is still in heat if she has been spotting for two weeks-ish -- at the point she gets swollen she is fully available to become pregnant. But usually the bleeding stops at that point or decreases, not i ncreases... Heat lasts 21-28 days; many dogs start to spot in the leadup to this swollen period, then many breeders to be safe would not only keep a dog sequestered for the third week bit also for another week after as it is hard to know whent hey are again likely to be fully safe around other dogs. If she is bleeding heavily at this point, in your position I would ring your vet as they may want to check her...In other words, if you have any concern about what she is going through right now -- and it sounds like you do -- I'd ring your vet immediately. Bitches can get pyometra infections following a heat and this can cause them to be swollen and have a discharge and this is a life-threatening condition -- so if you are not sure what you are seeing, I'd talk to the vets as a matter of urgency.

It sounds like she is just still in heat but I would want professional advice so as not to put her under any risk.

That said: are you SURE this is normal swelling and not a complication? If you have any concern about what she is going through right now, please ring your vet immediately. Bitches can get pyometra infections following a heat and this can cause them to be swollen and have a discharge and this is a life-threatening condition -- so if you are not sure what you are seeing, I'd talk to the vets as a matter of urgency.

It sounds like she is just still in heat but I would want professional advice so as not to put her under any risk.

Karlin, I guess I'm not sure, but definitely would appear to be what people were saying the swelling should look like. There is no abnormal discharge, it just looks more like bleeding than light spotting. Also, she has to go potty more often. Like this morning, right when she got up, she went outside and went, and less than 10 minutes after we got inside she had gone in the kitchen! When I asked my vet about it last time, she said it was common that the first cycle would only be spotting, which is why I thought it would be winding down.

The frequency in urination could be due to her marking for a mate, which they usually do more frequently after the bleeding stops and they can become pregnant. After what I just went through with Lily, I would be safe and call the Vet just to give you piece of mind.;)

Last edited:
Back