• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brushes for grooming

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought a Mason Pearson brush for Jaspar (primarily) at the dog show yesterday. A key reason is that he needs more grooming than Leo as he has a finer coat that mats frustratingly easily (hoping that will change as his adult coat comes in) and he also HATES being brushed and groomed. Even though I went by the book, brushing him every week from 8 weeks old, using a very soft puppy brush! It's the metal pin brishes he especially hates, event he sound of it seems to annoy him.

New strategies were called for. I've been working on doing a bit at a time and praising and giving a little treat at the end of a session. But I also decided to try a Mason Pearson. Expensive icon_yikes but last night is the first time he was tolerant of a brushing. Not thrilled with it, but he looked so nice at the end as the brush gave a very nice fluffy look to him.

Just wonder what else people use, or what others have to say about Mason Pearsons? (besides wallet damage! :lol: )

Iv'e never tried a Mason Pearson brush but I am looking for something better for Chloe now she has her adult coat. If you don't mind me asking when you say expensive how expensive icon_slapper

Oh my!!! Those are expensive! I just use a metal pin brush, comb and slicker. I use the brush lightly and if I'm doing the ears I hold the hair as I'm brushing. After I'm done with Shelby I'll just run the brush across her back and her eyes roll right up in her head!!

Cathy

The pin brushes make Jaspar go nuts...

Well, let me put it this way, the Mason Pearson I bought was right in the league with ALL the professional tools sold (as opposed to the ones sold in petshops) so I didn't feel that bad. The petshop nylon bristle brushes just don't work for him and the pins are what I needed an alternative to (Leo is fine with the pin brushes). Whereas the boar bristle really worked well. I got a brush that costs £42 so about €64. It is a gorgeous brush and I might get one for me as well -- I have fine long hair (not unlike a cavalier... 8) and nylon brushes seem so harsh. I tried it out first for me :lol: and it was just wonderful. I use bristle brushes but not on that rubber cushion base of a Mason Pearson. Basically these are hairbrushes that last 30 years or more... so they are a good investment if you care for them properly.

I'm a believer in you get what you've paid for, so I'm sure they are well worth the money.

I have been a hairdresser for 30 years and always used the Denmen brush ranch of brushes which with good care they have lasted me for a good many years.

I use a small Mason Pearson brush on Trevor...I stole it back from my husband--he had started using mine years ago :roll: Trevor hates pin or slicker brushes. And he has to be in the right mood even for the Mason Pearson... if you go near his tail or "pantaloons" he gets icon_furious He seems to tolerate a greyhound comb better than any of the brushes!

I bought the doglets a Mason Pearson Sensitive Bristle Brush for Christmas - have wanted one for years, and it is fantastic - makes a big difference :D

I managed to find a brand new one on E-bay, if you do a search on the Internet they do very quite considerably in price - so research before you buy icon_yikes

Glad you're pleased with yours, Karlin.

hi!

Just found this thread!!

I swear by these brushes!! I have about 4 of them, 2 are the smaller pocket one's handy to pop into your show pouch in the ring and 2 are the larger size. I have a pure bristle one in each size and I have a combi nylon and pure bristle in each size. I start with the combi brush then swap to the pure bristle at the end to give a bit more of a shine!

You get what you pay for I must say, the one I first bought almost 15 years ago now :yikes: is still in daily use and is the one I always have in my show pouch too!!

Here's a tip for you all, when giving your final brush over with the pure bristle brush do alternate strokes with a piece of silk cloth!! The result will astound you!! (y) icon_whistling

Hi there!

This is a great site for all things doggy and is one of the main trade stands at many of the Champ shows too, you will find things on there younever knew you needed I HAVE WARNED YOU!! I will not be responsible for massive credit card bills, marital strife and worst of all Divorce!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.hubint.com/

You will find the Mason Pearson brushes here, but I would also recommend a search on good old Ebay too! :*bay:

A Mason Pearson brush :eek: I can't even affort one of those for my hair! My boys love being brushed so much, they'd lay down & lap it up even if I was using a broom. :badgrin:

:) My pups think they're getting a massage when I brush them with our Mason Pearson! I still use the slicker brush first to pull out dead hair, though, and they don't seem to mind.

None of them like a pin brush, so I tossed it.

Last edited:
Hi there!

This is a great site for all things doggy and is one of the main trade stands at many of the Champ shows too, you will find things on there you never knew you needed I HAVE WARNED YOU!! I will not be responsible for massive credit card bills, marital strife and worst of all Divorce!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.hubint.com/

You will find the Mason Pearson brushes here, but I would also recommend a search on good old Ebay too! :*bay:
Why did I see this post at nearly midnight?! I'll never get that early night now!

Last edited:
At what age does the "adult coat" come in? I know they grow out around 6 months, but then the grow more later on, right? What one if the adult coat?

Hi!

Generally pups lose their puppy coat at about 12-14 weeks old, then they grow in their adult coats! I would recommend both the nylon/pure mix ass a strting brush and then the pure bristle brush for finishing off.

Hope this is of help??

mason pearson brushes

Just wanted to say that I have a mason pearson brush that is 45years old.
It was bought for me when I was born! That gives away my age. Then usedfor my daughter and now for my four dogs !
I call that goo value for money! It is still going strong!

Back