• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

almost afraid to ask

mjones5

Hello,

My darling Annie (8 months old) tri female has the symptoms of SM. I had noticed the scratching before, particularly at obedience class, but when I started reading up on it and watching the videos I see her behavior. I have an appointment with a good vet tomorrow, and the vet tech owns a Cavalier. I live in the DFW area and will search for a neurologist in the area after ruling out all other possibilities.

I am sad to say the least, heartbroken is a better word. My first Cavalier died at the age of 9 months from autoimmune disease and Annie was her replacement. I was not aware how common SM is. Annie is the best dog and has been taking obedience classes. A natural ! Due to the recent downturn in the stock market and economy my income is not what it once was. Does anyone NOT do surgery on their dogs? I know, I need to find out first if she really has it, but I know in my heart she does. The sypmptoms are all there, except maybe the air scratching.

This is really hard but I will do whatever I need to for her. Martha

I'm so sorry that you have these concerns.

First off, as hard as it may be, try not to worry until you see a neurologist and know more clearly what, if anything, is going on. You will want to investigate a number of possibilities including PSOM. There's lots of info on www.smcavalier.com including on PSOM.

Secondly, yes, many opt not to do surgery for a whole range of reasons. I haven't done so with my dogs at this time. The surgery is not a cure for the condition; it is just one way of managing pain. For some dogs it is probably the most effective and long term choice, but that still does not mean it is the right choice for everyone.

I cannot stress enough though that you should try not to wear yourself out with worry over a situation that hasn't been diagnosed yet --try to learn as much as possible about the condition and the various options -- and then whatever the outcome of further investigation, you will feel more prepared to take the right decision for you and your dog.

There are many here who care for their SM dogs with a variety of approaches and can give different perspectives.

Back