• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal glands, both Molly and Éowyn to be operated

ourempire

As some of you know we have had a lot of anal gland issues with Molly (5 years) and Éowyn (3 years). Both have had two severe attacks of infected anal glands, the last time both of them had a huge abscess and needed 4 visits to the vet during two weeks. Besides their anal glands have been emptied at their regular vet visits. The two last times it coincided with our vacations, so we have had to cancel two prolonged "get-away-weekends" with a one day notice. The cancellation was the smallest of the problems of course, but in a few days time we are trying to go away again, so we thought we would get them checked, just in case.
It turned out to be a very good idea. Molly especially had a lot to get removed, the vet was quite concerned. We discussed the operation, as we have done so many times before, but this time she said it would get worse for them and would be a returning issue, unless we got them operated.

I read through all the posts with anal glands and discussions of operations, and I know that it is an absolutely last resort. But I think we have thought it through and discussed it thoroughly with their vets (they got a new one, when we moved 1½ year ago). We have tried many things; change of diet to more and more fibres, inspecting them regularly etc., but still it seems to come back. Christian and I had discussed it before, so we were prepared to do what the vet recommended.

So, now I have scheduled both of them for the 31st of January, and I am prepared to work at home that week it takes. The first night they will be at the vet, after that I can take them home, and they will wear cones until the stitch removal 8-10 days later.
As many of the questions here concerns the possibility of operation, I thought I would write a kind of diary in here, so you can follow the operation and the days after.

It is a surgery that does have risks, but it sounds like you have researched and thought it through. Our friends who have a cavalier had this surgery done a few months back and everything was great. They said it is wonderful now not deealing with the infections all the time and their dog finally is happy, eats well again, and pain free.

I hope the best to you and their operation!

Hi Charlotte and Christian

The best of luck you are braver than I and it would be a gand I idea for a blog/diary so
we can all support you as you go along this path ,thanks for thinking of it and in turn
helping us all .

Kindest Wishes

bri

Hi Charlotte and Christian,
I just wanted to say I can appreciate the problem you've had in trying to 'do the right thing' for your little ones. My Poppy who went to Rainbow Bridge in 2006, used to get dreadful infections regularly. Like you we tried changing food and all we could think of to help her cope with this horrible condition.
After lots of chats with our vet Poppy had the operation and recovered well (though she hated the cone round her neck!) and she was great afterwards, a much happier, brighter dog!
She was about 3 when she had the op and we finally lost her when she was 13 years and 5 months old.
I hope everything goes as well for your little ones. It' a great idea to keep a diary for us too!
Sending you all hugs and very best wishes.

Poor little pups, so many can have problems with anal glands. I know of a few who had their cavaliers glands removed and it was so much better for them, as Spangly had said about her Poppy.
We'll be thinking of you and sending you positive healing vibes. Do keep us updated. And I hope you get a holiday 'get away' soon!

Hi Charlotte,
I know we've talk about the dreaded anal gland problem before as we were advised that Leo may need this op last year. Fingers crossed since the added oatsbran he's been ok......I think a blog would be fantastic and I will follow it closely just in case he ever does need surgery.
Good luck to you all....from what others say it sounds like you're doing the right thing.
:xfngr:

Best of luck with the op I will follow your diary too. My Pippin had two terrible occasions with anal glad abscess' and ended up with a gaping hole in his skin after they burst:(

Thankfully he has been fine since introducing all bran into his diet on a daily basis, fingers crossed.

Thank you all of you for your kind answers. Right now I think there is a loooooooong time to think and worry, before the 31st of January.
We also added oatbran to their food, but it has not helped enough; but they like it, so we will continue with the oatbran anyway.
I talked to my boss today, to inform him that I would like to work from home or use my overtime. He was really sympathetic, and told me to use my overtime, so I shouldn't worry about working, when the dogs needed my attention. That's quite a relief. It means that I CAN work from home, if everything is fine; but I don't need to feel guilty, if I don't.

Last edited:
Just to follow up: We managed to get away this time; the vet check beforehand secured that we could go, and yesterday we came home from 3 days in London. The dogs were well cared for at their regular dog pension. It's almost two hour by car, each way, but as soon as they saw the owner, they sprang happily towards her. Now they are home, they have been given a bath, and they are sleeping. The operation is in 10 days, and I am getting more assured that it is the right decision every day. I am very nervous, but knowing that I can stay at home with them makes it easier; and I will write the diary to follow their recovery here on Cavaliertalk.

Last edited:
I just wanted send my best wishes and hugs to Molly and Eowyn for tomorrow. I will be thinking about you all. Let us know how things go.

A million thanks for your thoughts and wishes. They are fine but Molly had some other minor issues. I will update the blog later. So relieved!

Back