• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Good News: Dog Breeding Act finally signed

susandavis1

Some good news for Christmas, the minister has signed the commencement order for the Dog Breeding Establishments Act 2010 so hopefully a brighter start for all doggies in Ireland in 2012.
Surprisingly, the minister noted that 'most dog-breeding establishments were well run. However, I am well aware of problems with a small number of establishments.' He still seems unaware of the real problems.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1222/1224309381421.html

I don't want to kill this thing before it even gets started and I do welcome the news that even an ill informed minister has good intentions BUT

What provisions are made for inspection of premises used for dog breeding?
What training will be given to the inspectors?
Who will pay for it?
Will it be enough?
What penalties or enforcement measures are intended to be applied to those who fail to meet the standards?

It is good news that at least the act has been signed. I will e-mail the minister with your queries but I am still waiting for him to reply to any of my previous letters :(. I will cc my local TD- he did at least reply in the last instance, with quite a comprehensive letter. We'll see what the outcome is, but theyr'e on their hols now.
Happy Christmas Everyone

Flo all of these things are covered in the bill but of course how well they are enforced by various country councils will make a difference. But it gives significant powers now for inspections, and basic standards that actually surpass what is in law in the UK or US for example. I will try and find the link to the bill.

The bill is the result of a lot of work by vets, individuals, welfare groups, the IKC (who were very supportive in total contrast to the KC in the UK or the AKC in US!) and so on. Many here sent in recommendations and comments a few years ago. I sent in a long submission with a lot of detail from breeders aware of this industry and how it works and who had evidence of shipments into the UK/US/Canada. I had a lot of detail from when I wrote the story for the Irish Times that is here in the Library section on puppy mills/farms. I encouraged many of those breeders outside the Irish Republic to make submissions as well and several did.

It was a long time coming but is a very good start and I think groundbreaking in world terms. Much of the proposed Welsh bill is clearly based on it. All of us would have liked to see other things in it or out of it. It will push a LOT of people out of puppy farming.

I e-mailed my local Td, but they are on their Christmas break. In my e-mail I asked who was going to operate the inspections etc- (be great if there was some new employment created) so I'll let you know what the reply is when they are back in January.
Happy Christmas everyone.

Back