• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

one puppy or two

yvonne

I'm collected Holly, our new Tri colour puppy in two weeks.
Went down to Breeders at the weekend for another look at her (take picture etc).
There is still a black and tan puppy that nobody has taken yet. Do you think two puppys are much more work than one????? or would they keep each other company during the hours that me and hubby are both working???
Any comments welcome.
Yvonne

Two puppies at the same time are not recommended, for a couple of reasons -- they can bond more closely with each other than with you, and hence be harder to train, and also, it is very hard to properly train two puppies anyway. This would be a serious concern if no one is home all day (I hope someone will be able to check in at least midday with the pup, as they cannot hold themselves for a whole day; if the pup is 8weeks old, it really needs to be taken out every two hours or so. If left alone all day, you will have a long housetraining road ahead, just be aware of that and factor it in). Most breeders recommend waiting til the first dog is at least a year old before getting a second. If no one is home all day, I would recommend getting a second dog eventually -- cavaliers are very strong 'people' dogs, and can get very lonely left alone for 8 hours or so a day.

Generally, be sure to read up on ways to keep a puppy/dog entertained on its own all day. Of course, this breed needs to remain inside primarily as they are not garden breeds and run a serious risk of being stolen and can be escape artists. It will be way too cold for a puppy to be outside for any length of time until the weather warms in spring (I got my first pup on Dec 31st and remember it took til he was nearly 6 months old to have enough coat to keep warm on cold day walks). Also the pup will need to be in a very safe environment when alone -- no cords accessible, nothing that you don't want chewed, no ability to get into cupboards (eating simple household basics like chocolate or raisins can kill a dog, especially a puppy the size of a cavalier). Leave a radio or TV on, leave *safe* toys (nothing that could choke, tangle around limbs or neck, be swallowed).

Some people are successful with two pups at the same time but this will take a lot of extra work and commitment. If you are ready for that, and can also get home daily at least once during the day and preferably twice (If you can't get home I\'d strongly recommend looking into day boarding for the dog or paying someone else to check in midday every day, eventually to take the dog for walks etc), then you might consider this. Just be aware of the level of work. I found ONE puppy so exhausting that when I got my second I opted, like a lot of people, for an adult. I just couldn't face the whole housetraining rigamarole so soon after going through it once, and also, having a puppy while fun is very limiting to your own life for the first year becasue they are bbabies, needing time and training of all types. I could not get out of the house for longer than 2-3 hours at a time for the first two months as part of the housetraining process. Puppies really need people to be be there with them as much as possible, just like babies, for the same reasons. :)

Hi Karlin,
Thank you very much for your advice.
My husband usually doesn't start work till 3pm and i'm usually back home by 6ish.
On the rare occassion, he'll have to work earlier, but i've family nearby who've promised to pop in on those days.
Perhaps the better idea is to wait 6 months or so and then look into getting another adult.
Thanks for your help.
Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

I would advise getting Holly first and then adopt a second later on. Toilet train and basic train Holly and see how you get on. You will know whether number 2 is right for you within some time. If you feel the other puppy has no chance of being homed or there is a problem then that is another issue though.

As regards Holly being left alone for long periods asking someone to check in on her for you during the day is a great idea and solution. Make sure she has a few KONGS to chew on and eat from. These will help her sleep and forget that she is alone. Any visitors / minders will need to follow your toilet training instructions so leave a copy of same on the fridge. If you need these instructions PM me your address.

I adopted puppy 2 when my first dog was 1 year old. It has worked out very well. They are now 3 and 4 and very happy together. I have an older male and a younger female. Given the choice I would select older female and younger male - seems to work out better. My younger female challenges my older male quite a bit and someday he will give in to her but for now he is 1 and she is 2. I let them sort things out between them.
*Goes without saying if you have a male and female you must spay/neuter for obvious reasons!

Adopting 2 puppies can work out. You would have to be at home though or take some time off at the begining.
You need to be sure to set out the ground rules and make sure everyone in your home understands these.
You should attend training classes with one handler per puppy.
You need to always allow the puppies sort themselves out within the "canine" hierarchy (humans not included). So this just means a little more research into how to handle little disputes etc.

But if you can go for 1 now and 1 later. However if the other puppy is in danger of not being homed then I certainly couldn't leave it behind. I am sure that isn't the case though with a pedigree Cavalier.

I hope that info helps.

Hi Yvonne, we did buy one book that said that two puppies are sometimes easier, but Karlin is very knowledgable on this front. For us we waited (and saved up) until Busta was at least 9-10 months before we got Woody. They are so good together and keep each other entertained so I do recommend getting a second.

Oh, that's a good working set-up! :) By four months the pup should be well on its way to being houstrained as that is a very workable schedule for a dog. I'd definitely recommend crate training too.

Tara's suggestions are all great ones. If you can each take a pup for training and make sure each gets equal training time, alternating between the two of you, then two is far more manageable, if you feel you can't resist the second, but as noted, there are difficulties and don't underestimate the burden of two at once (like twin babies!).

I got Leo when he and Jaspar were 10 and 9 months old. I got impatient!:) In retrospect I wish I'd waited just a litttle longer, and I can see why breeders and trainers suggest waiting til the first is 12 to 18 months old. Jaspar wasn't fully trained and it was really impossible to try to do both on my own. Hence Jaspar has had a training course but Leo never has; I thought I'd take more time to do Leo as well but it is awkward to leave one dog alone and take on the other especially when, like me, you have no garden! I highly recommend having two dogs though; IMHO it is easier actually to have two adults than one, and you can see the extra richness they get in their lives with a constant companion. Plus cavaliers are wonderful together. :)

We got Shelby when Jake was a year old. We almost didn't have to train her at all because she followed Jake's lead. Luckily she pretty much just follows his good things not his bad (wood chip eating!)

That's a good point too, Cathy. One advantage to getting the second when the first is a little older is the first tends to set an example the second follows. So housetraining goes faster, and the second one also picks up all sorts of things from the first. Leo learned to play fetch, the command 'off', and how to swim (and like swimming!) by following Jaspar's lead.

Thanks for your help guys.
I think i'll just take the one. Maybe next year we might get another older cavalier for company.
Yvonne

and then a fifth and sixth..........

And then, before you realize what happened, you're me :lol: :lol:

i have only known about this board for a couple of months so didnt get any advice when i purchased my two....i got Harvey at 8 weeks then 3 weeks later i got Chloe who was 8 weeksi must admit i found it very easy and prefered to do the housetraining all at once than to have to start again at a later date...my two get on really well together they are always together wether it be eating sleeping playing or going for walks..i also found the crate training very easy as they never cried when i put them in as they would cuddle up together to go to sleep...Harvey is now 7 months and Chloe 6 months and both have been fully house trained for the past 2-3 months...they are a delight to own and i have never regreted getting two puppies and wond,nt swap them for the world....on the other hand i am a mother of two children and dont work during the day and with my two children being at nursery and school my days in the early months was spent with them constantly...my hard work has definatly paid off in my eyes...when me and my partner go to work at eveings (we do dj-ing) they is always the babysitter at home who treats the dogs like my children :D.....whatever you decide good luck xx

If you and your family have the time and patience- two is "doable." I kept and housetrained *4* boys until they were over 6 months old. They weren't 100% reliably housetrained at 6 months- but they were well on their way. And no, they aren't overly attached to each other <humans are their favorites>. Sandy

oh yeah forgot to say as woodhaven says my two are very attached to me, my patner and children as as soon as eveing comes and my children are in bed Chloes sits with my husband and Harvey with me on the couch xx

Hi all,

I was reading this as Gizmo is 1 yr old today and we are thinking of getting a second dog to keep him company.....
We don't mind if it's not a cavalier once they get on (and it would have to be another small breed).
Gizmo isn't neutered and we wanted to get him a young girl who would HAVE to be spayed .... 2 would certainly be enough, although I said that about one!!

Karlin - I know you do rescue work and have alot of contacts ... the reason we don't mind if it's not another cavalier is that we were thinking of rescuing a dog (and obviously there's not alot of rescue cavs out there)

I want to make sure that the timing is right for us and Gizmo.
Do you think it's ok for different breeds to be around each other and what particular things do we have to be aware of, when getting a companion for Gizmo (eg breeds that don't get on etc)

Cheers....

Back