• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

GGT and Cholesterol Levels - Very High! HELP

kezimmer

Dear Cavalier Friends,
I am very concerned for our 10 year old Cavalier, Dash. Here is what has happened:

November two of Dash's front little teeth very loose, falling out, bad breath. Vet recommended dental.

December 1 Pre-Dental Blood work, elevated GGT level - Vet reasoned that it could be because of infection from bad teeth, still cleared ok to do Dental.

December 4 Pre-Dental Blood work, higher GGT level than on Dec 1 - went through with Dental and 4 teeth removed.

December 4 - 18 Two weeks of Antibiotic meds

December 29 Blood work and result was GGT even further escalated. Vet provided four options 1- three weeks of Ursodiol to see if it controls or brings down GGT levels, 2 - ultrasound, 3- xray, 4 - do nothing now and check again in three months. Vet said it could be a problem with gall bladder or liver. We opted for the Ursodiol.

January 5 Started on 75mg capsules Ursodiol once per day for three weeks

January 26 Blook work to check GGT level and the result was an even higher GGT level. Vet also noted high cholesterol. Vet asked for a complete full blood work panel tomorrow.

Each time Dash has had blood work done, he has been fasted for 12 hours prior. He eats Eagle lamb and rice, with 1/2 tsp Glucosamine Plus and 1 3V Cap.

Perhaps it is time to do the x ray or ultrasound to find out what is going on? It will have been two months of this GGT level escalating. Just a google search talks of a blocked gall bladder duct or liver disease....but I don't know if that is it or not.

Have you ever seen this in a Cavalier before or have any suggestions? Unfortunately, the vet I am going to has 5 doctors none of which are very familiar with Cavalier.

Many thanks to you for your advice.

-kezimmer and Dash

I agree with Dr. Zeltzman. This has been going on for almost three months now. Internists are trained to handle this. When Madison's kidney function tests were high, her vet immediately referred her to an internist. Good luck.

I understand that, normally, liver problems do not show up in blood tests until the liver is severely handicapped, like about 75% gone. There can be any of several causes, including environmental toxins. I know of a 5 year old GRD which developed cirrhosis, presumably due to toxins sprayed on fields where the dog practiced tracking and field work.

Back