• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leaving 2 dogs in the kitchen together?

cpell009

So I just got a new job where I will be unable to come home at lunch, only two days a week but Im still looking for the best solution so the dogs aren't cooped up in their crates all day. Currently when I go to work I crate them separately and come home at lunch so they can go out and have some play/cuddle time. This has only been the arrangement for the last 2-3 weeks since I moved to a new place on my own, but I want to find a better arrangement because I know crating them for more than a few hours at a time is not the greatest.

I wanted to do the kitchen set-up but I don't know if it is a good idea to put the girls in there together. My kitchen is prettyyyy small. Probably like 10x4 feet. The girls get along well most of the time, but sometimes they can get a bit rough when playing or competing over a toy. I would feed them separately in the morning before I leave, but do you think its a good idea to put them in there together? There wouldn't be room for a crate but I could put two beds, some toys and a training pad for the puppy. Another idea Im considering is a dog walker who would take them out for 20-30 minutes while Im working, but the expense is a factor.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
IMO the dog walker would be the best solution but I know it can get expensive.

Two thoughts--pen them together but without any toys. Or, divide the kitchen with an X-pen. The latter will allow them to see each other and feel like they have company and aren't alone, but would prevent any tussling over toys. Even if the kitchen is small, half of it would be bigger than a crate.

I was also thinking I could get a play pen and put one in the kitchen and one in the playpen...that might work! I also may have found a student dog walker who has reasonable prices.

I think they would be happier together, I bet they just nap while you are away. I wonder if you can find a neighbor with a 11-14 yr old that can let them out for a break?

Back