• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Belly covers in stead of cones

ourempire

As you can see in another thread posted today

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=18407

Molly was spayed today. Karlin asked to see her belly cover, which we got from the vet. It covers her entire stomach from throath to behind, but it enables her to eat, and also pee and so on without problems. We also received a cone, but we should only use that if she tries to bite off her belly cover.
Molly will use this for 10 days, then her stitches will be removed.
Actually, I think it would be easy to make yourself, if your vet does not have one: A piece of cloth, six places with broad bands, two places in her behind to tie op the end, and two rings on her back to connect all bands and strings.
Have fun at the sewing machine ;)

507985721_ebcea94f70.jpg

507985713_49af338fd6.jpg

507985667_f2313cedb2.jpg

That's very interesting! I wish there was one I could make with little back legs for Wednesday's knee surgery. We've been wearing a long sleeve onsie turned upside down. She's been able to wiggle out of it several times. This would stay put!

That is really interesting -- such a smart way of managing stitches. It's like a little apron! :lol: This looks like a possible project for Emma, the sewing whiz! I bet lots of people would like these for spays and neuters.

Thats a great idea but would it not slow down the healing process, I would have thought the air would need to get at the stitches, I would be afraid they would sweat in that???

Hi Sue.
I don't know how long the healing process usually takes, since Molly is our first dog. Our vet will remove the stitches 10 days after the operation. The belly cover hides another tissue over the stitches, and she is supposed to wear it all 10 days.
So far it has worked. She has not tried to rip it off or to scratch the stitches at all, and it has not been necessary to use the cone yet.
Of course it is only her first day, but she is doing great. A bit tired, but happy.

Wow that looks really interesting, and much easier on the shins than the cone - which Cleo did not initially emjoy too much either!

That's definately interesting!

In the good old days (when I worked!) we didn't automatically put a cone on the animal. Some of them never bothered their sutures. Sutures usually came out in 7-10 days and I also wonder about keeping them all covered up. It does seem like it would be a good moisture trap that could cause problems.

BUT, if that's what your vet told you to do then I'm not the one to question it! Hope all goes well and that she heals nicely.

That looks brilliant - I'm sure one could be made out of a mesh type fabric that would allow the air to circulate better? Otherwise I'd prob only use it when the dog couldn't be supervised.

I think a really determined dog would get that off, but most Cavaliers don't seem to bother their stitches {in my experience}.

Actually that would be very useful for the Winter in a waterproof fabric LOL

molly is adorable. that is a great idea....i like the thought of making it out of a mesh, or even bandage-like material. it actually looks cute on molly and matches her collar ;-)

What a great idea!! She certainly doesn't seem to be that bothered by it does she? Might be worth asking your vet if they buy them in or make them theirselves when she goes back to have her stitches out?

It kind of makes me think of when I first put the puppia on Sasha. It absolutely paralyzed her. She thought she was unable to walk in it. And the snap of the clasp made her jump a mile!!

Update - here is how to get the belly covers...

Hello!!!:D
This morning Molly went to the vet in order to get her stitches removed. Everything went fine, the scar looks good, and she is now playing in the garden.
I took some pictures - one from this week, and the next to show you her scar. Actually, I was a little surprised at first to see, how much they cut in her, so this picture is just to display to "first-time-dog-owners" that a long scar is normal ;)

I did some research on the belly cover. It is produced by a Danish company, but their website is in several languages, including English.

http://www.kruuse.com

The belly covers (or abdominal bandages) come in different sizes. They are normally sold to the vets in packages of 5. The product numbers are 162000 (small), 162002 (medium), 162004 (large), 162006 (Xlarge), 162008 (XXlarge). You just type the number in the "search" at the website.

The prize was more difficult, and I was told to underline that the prize is just estimated, since they normally sell to vets. In Danish kroner it varies from ca. 250-450 kr., depending on the size, for one package with five. This is ca. £22-40.
However, they can be used several times, they are washable (to 90 degrees) and flexible, and Molly did not even try to rip it off. When we had to wash it (she accidently peed on it a couple of times), she stood by me looking interested, and she was patient when we put it on her again.

But still: A creative person might easily be able to create them with a sewing machine. Just remember to use elastic strings.

522916151_6152943fb8.jpg

522916145_835286321e.jpg

The size of the incision can depend on the dr doing the surgery. What I've seen is that the older, more experienced doctors usually make a smaller incision.

One of the vets I worked with was having her boyfriend (also a vet) spay her dog. He was doing strictly emergency work which is usually not done as "cosmetically" as surgery in a regular clinic. She was having fits when he started shaving her dog in the middle of her chest for a spay - nothing really wrong, just two different types of practice.

Your little girl looks good. In a few months you won't even be able to see the scar.

How to make a belly cover

Hi everybody.
Someone (you know who you are :)) asked to buy Mollys belly cover. Unfortunately we threw it out after use, but I made this simple drawing, so a creative person might be able to sew them. I hope you can use it.
By the way - today, 10 months after surgery, her scar is very tiny (barely 1 inch long) and looking really nice.
Charlotte

2366911010_791685a938_o.gif

Last edited:
Gosh I wish I had one of theese right now.Silva is completely frozen with her cone on,refuses to move.She is just terrifired ....Finally I gave upp and found some old pantyhose ,cut off the legs and put them on Silva. It works ok,but she'll have to sleep with cone tonight.otherwise shell just eat the pantyhose and get to the wound.:-|

Back